PDA

View Full Version : flopped set, misplayed?

unagi
07-28-2004, 07:05 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($26.25)
<font color="C00000">UTG+1 ($13.80)</font>
UTG+2 ($33.75)
MP1 ($44.59)
MP2 ($27.97)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($115.72)</font>
CO ($22.50)
Button ($27.95)
<font color="C00000">SB ($30.27)</font>
BB ($20.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $0, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks,50,50,

Flop: ($2) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $4</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to $18</font>, UTG+1 calls $9.30 (All-In), <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, SB calls $11.77 (All-In).

Turn: ($80.07) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($80.07) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $80.07

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Qs Jh (straight, king high).
UTG+1 shows Th Td (three of a kind, tens).
Hero shows 9d 9s (three of a kind, nines).
Outcome: SB wins $74.84. Hero wins $5.22. </font>

immediately after this hand, i wondered if i had played it optimally. if you've peaked at the results, you'll notice that i had 1 out left in the entire deck. i tend to limp in with my medium pockets, in hopes of hitting a set... but this is one of the times that it definitely didn't work out for me. i supposed that i should've had an inkling i was beat after my flop raise was all-inned by two players, but at this level i can often expect to see them flip over TPTK, two pair, pair+straight draw, or the flush draw. i know that my confidence seems overly high here, but i really was faltering at the moment on what i should do. i figured that, more often than not, i'd have the best hand on the flop.. and if not, i still had a few outs to a boat (although not in this case). UTG+1 just sat down recently, and hadn't gotten a read on him - SB was tight aggressive and felt he might have had the straight, but again seemed tough to lay down at the moment (hindsight is always 20/20). mistake, or just a tough break? let me know what you all think, it'd be much appreciated.

SpiderMnkE
07-28-2004, 08:28 AM
sb raises after a raise and a reraise... he has a made hand. UTG guy is small stacked... so he might go in on a draw hoping to triple up, or have a made hand.

You also have a made hand and are playing in crazyland so have no idea where you are. You could be way ahead or way behind these clowns. I'd say you are ahead... or behind with live outs often enough here that your play was goot.

If you are going to get your chips in on this pot... you better do it on the flop.

I think the poker gods handed you a rifle and sent you hunting... only to give the deer bazookas so that they (poker gods) could laugh at you.

I'd say at a higher limit this could be an interesting hand... but here... we've all seen these guys make these moves with much much less.

schwza
07-28-2004, 11:10 AM
you played it fine. there's no way you're getting away from this hand with the relatively shallow stacks.

Wayfare
07-28-2004, 11:14 AM
Go to the felt 100% of the time on a party stack and flopped set. If you start second guessing yourself, you are making a huge -EV long term mistake.

MisterKing
07-28-2004, 01:10 PM
I'd agree with the previous posters -- you made exactly the hand you were looking for on the flop, albeit with two overcards on the board. This is the time to ram &amp; jam, esp. in a Party NL$25 game. People in these games will move in with 2 pair, nut flush draws, and even TPTK sometimes. You hit two better hands, but in the long run your play looks to be +EV.

Ulysses
07-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Played perfectly. Unlucky hand.

Leo Bello
07-28-2004, 03:33 PM
U had no options unless u want to begin laying down sets.
Unlucky.

Vee Quiva
07-28-2004, 04:28 PM
I lay it down after they come over the top. The board is too coordinated and there is a very good chance that if you are not already behind that they will catch you by the river.

I guess I am the weak tight contrarian here but if small blind is not afraid of two raises after his initial bet chances are he's got a pretty damn good hand.

Godfather80
07-28-2004, 05:51 PM
The fact is that with their stacks that small, it will be almost impossible for you to knock them off any draw. So you suck it up and bet hard in order to give them the worst odds that you can. Folding on the flop in this circumstance would be absolute lunacy. Don't let short term results affect what was a good decision at the time you made it.

Godfather

umdpoker
07-28-2004, 10:02 PM
"I lay it down after they come over the top. The board is too coordinated and there is a very good chance that if you are not already behind that they will catch you by the river. "

this would be the worst laydown ever. if somebody flopped the str8, then by the time he comes over the top you have the odds to call and catch a boat. very rarely will you be against an overset as well.

unagi
07-29-2004, 05:11 PM
okay, thanks for all the input - glad i can ingrain in my head that this was just an unfortunate circumstance and not much fault of my own - but since i seldom discuss poker w/ friends (almost all of them are the loose/aggressive type - despite the fact that i try to convert them and i'm the one up the most (as in, up at all) and have studied the game the most (again, as in.. at all)), it's good to hear some opinions from the community. thanks again!