PDA

View Full Version : I'm so weak, folding AA preflop!!

Chris Daddy Cool
07-28-2004, 05:34 AM
UB 30+3 SnG

200/400 blinds

First to act bets x. Next player to act moves all in. I'm next to act and I fold with AA?!?!?! Nobody else calls. First guy calls.

How many players are left? What position am I in? What position are these two in and how much money do they have?

Did I give enough information?

and

Am I crazy?

PITTM
07-28-2004, 05:43 AM
hopefully you were just watching and pretending this was happening, and it didnt actually happen. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

rj

Hood
07-28-2004, 06:15 AM
hmm... interesting.

Well idea #1: You were set to 'away' and auto-folded your aces.

Presuming that's not it... well there's at least 5 players left - UTG bets, UTG+1 goes all in over the top, then you fold aces, SB and BB folds, UTG calls. So you're on the button.

Theoretically you could be SB or BB. However I'm thinking you must be a tiny stack - like T20 chips - in that winning this all in would still mean you've got only T60 chips and are still destined to go out. Therefore you can't have posted a blind (otherwise it wouldn't have been correct to fold).

But the problem here is that folding here wouldn't get you ITM.. unless BB was forced to go all in next hand. If he then looses, you get ITM with your T20 chips.

So to answer your questions:
- 5 players left
- You are on the button
- UTG and UTG+1
- Being that you and BB are short, I'm guessing a lot of chips.
- Not really as this is probably very wrong.
- Perhaps in this scenario it was correct to fold.

Anywhere close?

Chris Daddy Cool
07-28-2004, 06:24 AM
D'oh! By position I meant my position in the standings, i.e. "What place am I in?"

but very good thought process though in guessing a spot on the table, if that was indeed the information I was giving and what I was asking for. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

But you are very right about something in your response though.

Phill S
07-28-2004, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UB 30+3 SnG

200/400 blinds

First to act bets x. Next player to act moves all in. I'm next to act and I fold with AA?!?!?! Nobody else calls. First guy calls.

How many players are left? What position am I in? What position are these two in and how much money do they have?

Did I give enough information?

and

Am I crazy?

[/ QUOTE ]

it is 4 handed. first raiser is top stack, the guy who went over the top is second or third stack, and your either 3rd of 4th stack.

OR

youve got top stack by a huge margin, so that winning means little to your relative size, whereas tripling someone through is gonna bring you a competitor where there wasnt one before. the origional raiser raised somewhere near half his stack, the re-raiser has approximately the same size stack.

OR

im wrong cos im thinking about this in wrong terms. all i can deduce with certainty is there are 4 or more players and winning the pot is irrelivant to you.

Phill S

donkeyradish
07-28-2004, 09:35 AM
You're in 4th place of 4 without enough chips even to post a blind in the next hand. You fold because you are sure the first guy will call (he's chip leader and the all-in guy only has a few more chips than you).

You reckon you have a 50/50 chance of finding yourself in the money by folding, so you do.

(& the 'nobody else calls' was to put us off the scent /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

playerfl
07-28-2004, 10:54 AM
My guess is you were in 3rd and hoping to take second if the all-in guy blew out.

Jason Strasser
07-28-2004, 10:58 AM
This is my simple answer. You have very few chips, like say 1 chip. And there are 4 left, then this fold is correct.

-Jason

Hood
07-28-2004, 11:28 AM
As I said in my post above, if there are 4 left, that means you have already posted the blind. So if this was the case is folding still correct?

Jason Strasser
07-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Hrmmm

Jason Strasser
07-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Im not folding out of the 150 SB with this hand. Hmm, maybe it was 5-handed? Maybe he made a bad fold? hmmm

Dominic
07-28-2004, 12:08 PM
did you really need a whole post for "Hmmmm?"

lol

Jason Strasser
07-28-2004, 12:11 PM
I edited it lol.

I could change it to a period if u'd like.

doc43
07-28-2004, 12:28 PM
This situation is described in Sklansky's tournament book. You are short stacked in 4th place. 1st is a big chip leader 2nd and 3rd are medium and about equal in chips. 1st place puts 2nd and 3rd all-in. You with AA have nothing to gain and everything to lose. One or two players will go broke in this hand, and you can potentially move up one or two positions just sitting out...

Chris Daddy Cool
07-28-2004, 03:54 PM
It's 4 handed and I'm in 4th place, by a lot. I have like T20 left and winning this hand has zero impact on me winning this tourney because it's impossible.

It was a pretty interesting situation because I have never ever folded AA preflop in my life, but this situation is right out of Sklansky's tourney book and I thought it would be cool to write about it!

UTG was the chip leader by a large margin and UTG+1, the all-in guy was 3rd and stupidly put all of his chips on the line when he could have just waited for me to bust out.

Unfortunately, UTG+1's AJs held up and I busted out shortly after, but my fold was still clearly +EV in this spot.

Jason Strasser
07-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Wait. If you were in the small blind, you must call. You had 200 invested and folded for the other 20? When winning the hand meant that you would have around 900 chips?

-Jason

Chris Daddy Cool
07-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Gah, error on my part when posting the results, just woke up. =(

I'm actually 5th of 5, ON THE BUTTON. i was hoping the SB or BB would call too making a 3 way all in possible and pushing me into the money, but alas they did not bite.

Hood
07-28-2004, 07:08 PM
That's quite unlikely they'll call... unless they're really dumb and haven't realised you have T20 chips left.

Hence my difficulty working out how this works with 5 players ... BB was forced to go in next hand. However if this was the case, he probably would have gone in in the hand before (for the reasons stated for you going in if you are on the SB). Annnnnyway, glad I was close with my guess. Good game /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In your situation, I think I still would have called... you get T60, triple up 2 more times and you're back in the game /images/graemlins/smile.gif