PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate my PF play (JJ)

SlyAK
07-28-2004, 01:29 AM
Scene prima 1/2 NL 200 max buy-in

Opponents and stack sizes

UTG (22.50) Always buys in short and plays poorly.
MP1 (200) Decent player.
LMP (59) Seems to play too many hands.
SB (215) Seems alright, but haven't played that many hands with him
ME (BB with 190.49)

I am dealt J /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG min-raises to $4, 2 players fold, MP1 calls, 1 player folds, LMP calls, 2 players fold, SB completes.....

I raise to $22 total, (I had meant to raise enough to put UTG in, but misread his chip total)...

Comments??

The Next WSOP Winner
07-28-2004, 02:45 AM
Raising to target one player may backfire when the player calls and you get played over the top by another. The size of your raise seems fine here, although I'd consider smooth calling the min raise to try to hit trips. Realize that your position is really very poor here and there is a huge chance that you're going to get a flop that you don't like. I like that you're trying to get it over with preflop against a weakie, but just be careful about targetting players with bets.

SpiderMnkE
07-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Trips = 1 card in hand.. 2 on the board.

Set = 2 cards in hand.. 1 on the board.

Trips = 2 people can have

Set = 1 person can have

You're Welcome

Unarmed
07-28-2004, 09:37 AM
In HEP DS says trips=set so I can see the confusion some have. But yeah, current "slang" is as above.

schwza
07-28-2004, 10:53 AM
i would play it as you did. you want get HU with UTG, and since he plays badly he'll be likely to call the all-in with a junk hand like QT.

the other play i was considering (definitely fancy play syndrome) would be to raise to 13. that way, if UTG pushed you'd have the option to reopen the betting. in theory at least, that might actually be more effective at squeezing out the non-UTG players because they'd fear the reraise, but i think this is more intellectual masturbation than any useful suggestion.

SlyAK
07-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Post 2 on JJ hand:

UTG pushes his extra .50 in... MP1 folds, LMP calls, SB calls.... 4 to the flop for $94 dollars and I am out of position.

Remaining stacks at this point..
UTG (all-in)
LMP (36.50)
SB (192.50)
BB (ME 167.99)

$94 in the pot with a vulnerable hand. Remember SB seems to be a decent player.

What are my plans if an overcard flops and SB checks to me?

How about if no overcard flops and he bets into me (1/2 pot to the pot). Do I want to commit here? Do I need to fear a trap, he did call $22.50 PF and seems decent?

Thanx for replies.

Sly

Godfather80
07-28-2004, 05:41 PM
With the SB first completing and then calling your raise up to $22, it seems to me that he is just coming along for the ride in a pretty decent size pot. I'd put him on a mid to high suited connector.

If the flop comes with no overcards, then I think you're gonna want to push in, mostly because your hand ain't getting any better with more cards.

With overcards, specifically with an Ace, I'd slow down and check if SB checks to you. Then, depending on whether or not the LMP goes all-in and whether or not SB calls, you can examine your implied odds on hitting your set.

If the flop comes without overcards and SB bets into you, I think you need to make a decision based on the coordination of the flop as to whether or not you can raise him off a semi-bluff. For example if the flop comes Ts 8s 4h and the SB bets the pot at you, there's no raise that you can make that makes it a "bad" mathematical call for him. At best, you can go all-in for $167.99 thereby forcing him to call another $74 to win $356 (almost 5:1) on a draw that is probably 2.1:1 or better.

But if he only bets 1/2 the pot at you ($47), I think you can raise enough to make his draw mathematically "wrong" or close enough to make him think twice about calling. At that point, the pot would be $141, so you could go all-in for 167.99 and hope he doesn't call with a 4-to-the-flush plus two overcards.

I wonder if the best move in the case where the flop comes with no overcards and the SB bets half the pot at you is just to limp with the intention of going all in if the next card comes a blank. You would call the $47 on the flop, putting $188 in the pot and leaving you with $120.99. If the turn comes a blank and he checks, you go all in. He'd be paying 120.99 to win $309 on an at best 15:31 shot. Plus he'd have to be a mind reader to know both of his overcards would be good.

Just my thoughts.

Godfather

Maybe I'm just being weak-tight here, but if the SB bets the pot on any flop, I'm gonna have to strongly consider folding my JJ.

Garland
07-28-2004, 07:14 PM
I hope you're confident that you can get the other limpers to fold. I would probably raise a bit more than $22 to put more pressure on the $200 stacks to fold even in the event UTG calls. Maybe $30 to $35 would do the job (enough for small pairs not to get implied odds to set you). You either want to get heads up all-in with UTG or outright buy the pot.

Calling is also not a terrible option, but given your read on UTG, I think you want to take him on solo.

Garland

Garland
07-28-2004, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are my plans if an overcard flops and SB checks to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see the texture of the flop with the overcard, but bet the flop if everyone checks to you. About $75 should be right. That should be the last money you commit to the middle. Your hand is protected by UTG.

[ QUOTE ]
How about if no overcard flops and he bets into me (1/2 pot to the pot). Do I want to commit here? Do I need to fear a trap, he did call $22.50 PF and seems decent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on your read. If the flop comes total rags such as 237 rainbow, then you may well need to commit because he could easily have an overpair under yours.

Garland

The Next WSOP Winner
07-29-2004, 01:24 AM
Whatever, anal retentive. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SlyAK
07-29-2004, 02:37 AM
Once I saw the flop, things started to look a lot better!!
I was greeted by a J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5
/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checked, I checked and MP went all-in for $36.50. SB called and I called.

Turn was the 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checked, I pushed in for my last $130 or so, (pot is now $200), and SB goes in the tank. He finally types in KK and calls. The river was a blank and I take it down. I checked the hand history and he did indeed have KK!!! I guess if you are being trapped it pays to flop well!

Sly