PDA

View Full Version : variance in ring games compared to no limit tourneys

citrus
07-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Hello,

For the past year I have played $55 NL sit and go tourneys at party poker.

Have had a good amount of success.

A few weeks ago, I started playing 3/6 at party for a change of pace. I have also heard, it is a profitable game, for a good player.

Has anyone here had experience in both no limit tourneys and limit ring games.

In my 2 weeks playing 3/6, I have been sucessful enough to consider a move for good, from no limit to limit.

I have though experienced more variance in wins an losses. I play 3 games at once, and it is common to have swings of $200 plus in an hour of play. It is great when you are winning,, but of course not so great when loosing.

I have had a handfull of +$500 4 hour sessions,

The bad news is I have had some baaaad nights also.

One night I lost $650 in a 5 hour session.

I have not experienced so much variance playing no limit tourneys. Again,, I have been profitable in 3/6. I am wondering,, are swings like this normal. I thought limit would be less variable than sit and go tourneys,, however, I am believing quite the opposite.

Should I get used to this variance, or is my game lacking. I realize one can always improve their game

Also, for sit and go tourneys, I maintain a bankroll of about 40 games ($2000)

What kind of bankroll should i maintain to play 3/6,, 3 at a time?

Thank you all!

07-28-2004, 12:39 AM
Suffering consistent 100BB swings (within 4-5 hours) up and down in any limit seems a bit extreme. Whats your VP$IP and PFR% looking like?

bisonbison
07-28-2004, 12:53 AM
If you haven't been playing much limit, I think the 3/6 game is probably not the best place to start. 2/4's a bit softer and more straightforward.

As for the swings: I just moved up last week and in 3500 hands I've gone from 0 to +120BB to +40BB. It happens. That's it. If I'd gone from 0 to -80BB to 40BB, I wouldn't think about it as much.

pokerkai
07-28-2004, 01:26 AM
I started playing NL tourneys just like you and did decently well up to the 30+3 but found that there is much better money to be made at the really soft 2/4 and 3/6 tables.

And yes the variance is much greater in limit then it is in tournies. I think that is the case for two big reasons...

1. The tilt factor. Tournies have a definite beginning middle and end. It acts as a reminder of how you should be playing because there is a definite "type of play" that is required to be successful and at the various stages. Furthermore, when you bust out, its over. You get to "reset" and start over. Whereas in limit, there are no reminders outside of yourself that will stop you from tilting away your bankroll.

2. The variance is magnified by the fact your watching your bankroll all the time. In a tourney your chip count may go up and down, but in your head you know your bankroll is the same. In a ring game, your constantly seeing the ups and downs with every miracle card or bad beat.