PDA

View Full Version : Playing AA postflop

sdplayerb
07-27-2004, 09:43 PM
This was from the $220 buyin at Oceans 11 on Sunday.
Started with 2,000 chips, 2nd level is 25-50, I am at 1,750.
There are about 175 players.

UTG+2 (or somewhere EP) I have AA and make it 150 to go.
MP calls (i've seen him before and think he is a pretty decent player overall).

Flop is J99.
What is your play?

I bet 300 at the 375 pot. I expect I am well ahead, but won't give a free shot at a gutshot, plus I hope he plays back at me with a J. If he has a 9, i'm pretty much done.

He minraises to 600..hmmm. I read him for no 9. If I call I have 1,000 left.
Hear is the real decision point, what do you do and why?

Results later.

durron597
07-27-2004, 09:58 PM
There are exactly two hands that have more than two outs against you here. They are:

KQs

Somehow I don't see him miniraising with just a gutshot, if he's a solid player. Though maybe he is hoping that he will scare you my making the miniraise, and still making a bet that won't damage his stack too much.

JJ

Now THIS is the hand that I would be worried about after a miniraise... I see this play online all the time, and it has cost me many chips.

So how to decide if he has JJ... I think that you're going to have to use past hands to decide if he's the sort of person who would miniraise with JJ here, or if he's trying to make his AJ/KQ seem stronger than it actually is. If the former, I fold, and if the latter, I miniraise him back to see if I can get him to pushin.

sdplayerb
07-27-2004, 10:58 PM
I just didn't buy him having JJ either. His preflop call he didn't even consider raising on.

I pushed in, which was 1,000 more after my call, into a 1,500 pot. He folded. I think he had JT.

I think my play was bad. A pushin means he can't get me out of the hand, and shows no hesitation.

At this point I see him having some J. So he only has two outs.

AA with a pair on the flop is very interesting as it kills the persons shot at two pair to beat you.

I believe I should have raised 500, which basically puts me all in as he can't fold on the turn for my last 500. This raise could also leave him to believe he has more than 2 outs.

It is still conceivable/likely he would have folded. I am not sure if he would have realized my 500 really meant 1,000 (or could have made it 1,000 total after the 600 already bet).

But I do think that was the better course of action since he had two outs.

SD