PDA

View Full Version : J-10s - Good semi-bluff opportunity?

07-27-2004, 08:53 PM
No read on MP1. She's been at the table only 3 hands. I just see too many players at 2/4 betting at short-handed flops, one off the button. Good spot to semi-bluff?

My line here is to obviously to blind bet the river, if MP1 calls my turn raise.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks,

Flop: (4 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (3 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises...</font>

me454555
07-27-2004, 09:43 PM
What are you trying to semibluff, an ace? If he's got top pair he's getting 6:1 to call and since there's some chance you're bluffing he's almost always going to call you and see the river.

This is party 2/4 we're talking about, semi bluffs don't work unless a painfully obvious draw just came in and you're opponent would be drawing dead. On top of that, the pot is so small that I would want to have a fairly good read on my opponent before making a play like this. You've picked up an extra draw on the turn. I'd much prefer playing it passive b/c MP1 is likely to call a bet on the river even if you're draw hits and you might even get a chance to raise the river.

FWIW, I'd raise pf. There won't be enough limpers to make this a big pot so I'd rather play this hand heads up against an MP limper and get the blinds outta there. A raise also gives you a chance to seize the button, a moot point in this hand b/c button folded but should be brought up anyway.

Victor
07-27-2004, 10:16 PM
This is the absolutely perfect time to semibluff. This example could be used in a book.

The Armchair
07-27-2004, 10:21 PM
I think it's good. Even if you get re-raised, you're looking at 13 outs.

MoreWineII
07-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Textbook.

07-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

The bluff was a success /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Turn: (3 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (7 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Tc Jc (one pair, threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 8 BB. </font>