PDA

View Full Version : AKo play, without position!!

Yahve
07-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Hi all,
I have some questions regarding how to play this particular hand. It was on porkerstars NL 0.25/0.50 today at 9 a.m. I don’t have any read on the BB a that time, he played about 15 hands, nothing unusual happened. So I don’t have any read at all.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (7 handed)
BB ($23.45)
UTG ($8.75)
MP1 ($19.85)
MP2 ($7.50)
CO ($49.25)
Button ($84)
Hero ($48.45)
Preflop: Hero is SB with Ah, Kc.
BB calls $0.50, UTG calls $0.50, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, CO folds, Button folds, lacman730 checks.

Obviously, I know that my preflop play was no good, I tried to be a bit tricky. I didn’t want to be in a bad position in the flop with a raised preflop pot. But anyway, I only do that once in a while and I usually do raise that hand in the small blind.
Then, I want comments on my postflop play.

Flop: ($2.25) 8c, Js, Kd (4 players)
Hero checks, lacman730 checks, BB bets $1.5, UTG calls $1.50, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $4, BB raises to $6.5, UTG folds, Hero calls $2.50.

That flop looks great for me. I got TPTK, no flush draw but a possible straight draw. I decided to go with a check raise to pick up some info about their hands.

So here are my questions :

1) Did I raise enough here to cut their odds if they are drawing?
2) What hands are you putting the BB after his reraise?
3) What should be me my play on the turn ( turn was the 8d ), I’m first to act?
4) If I check on the turn and he push, what do you do?

Ok, I wait for your responses and I will post the result for whoever interested later.
It may be seem and easy questions for some of you, but I’m still learning and need your taught about basic things.

Thanks,

Yahve

By the way, sorry for my grammar and structure sentences if I did some mistakes. I’m French and tried to do my best.

AlekzanderZ
07-28-2004, 03:08 AM
hello young boy,

First of all, you played This hand like a newb!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

secondary, i would probably raise it pre flop to eliminated some opponents with marginal hand. I know, I know, you dont want to hear nothing about your passive play pre flop but you know, like I always say: THE PRE FLOP RAISE IS THE KEY OF THE SUCCESS.

Third, on the flop, your reraise was good, now you know your opponent dont just try to steal the pot, he have something. but what!??

in fact, without raising pre flop,its put you on a very bad position, because he can have a lot of hand who beat you and its tought to put him on a hand. He could have:

8J, 8K, 88, KJ, JJ, KK, AA. His re reraise on the flop confused me a little bit but he let expected that he had a good hand and not searching for a straight.

On the turn, i would probably bet 3/4 of the pots and if he go all in i called him because it costs like 7 more dollars on a 35$ pots.

Im french, and im bad in english, Yavhé, look at this, think about it, i will give you more information in french a next day, this was a basic english answer of your questions.

My name is AlekzanderZ but call me : SHANZ

Daann
07-28-2004, 06:14 AM
After the min reraise, I would probably fold. BB could have anything here and he has shown huge strength by reraising your check raise. KK and JJ seem unlikely as most people would raise them preflop so realistically you are behind 88 or two pair with the various 2 pairs being far more likely. If BB's stack was a fair bit bigger, then I would call and try to turn an A (the K might not be clean) as you are probably going to break him if you do hit.

Generally though, it would have been wise for you to raise preflop here. On the flop, a larger check raise would have been better, maybe to $6.50-$8. If he reraised that, then you have to expect (without any more information) that you were beat and it also denies him proper odds to draw if he was semibluffing.