PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good reason to vote for kerry?

Mucking Idiot
07-27-2004, 08:30 PM
Seriously,
other than he can't be worse than GW, what are some reasons for me to vote for Kerry. I havent researched him yet, but if I had to vote today, I'd vote for Kerry on the simple merit that Bush would be out.
WAIT!!!STOP!!!!
Before anyone says it.....I don't base my disgust towards our presidents performance on any recent(probably mostly TRUE) movies...I knew he was a sick moron long b4 he was elected and his performance as our president only confirmed it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jokerswild
07-28-2004, 01:38 AM
Republicans like to classify any criticism of Bush as Moore inspired. Moore didn't lie at all, however much they scream.

Kerry ha supoported balnced budgets in the 90's. He is not in favor of giving away all the social programs to the wealthy.

Kerry is a true war hero. He knows what war is about up close. His character didn't permit him to use his family's influence to skip over 500 candidates that tested above him to obtain his spot in the safe squadron.

President Carter put it best last night.

Clarkmeister
07-28-2004, 01:41 AM
If he gets elected, Ashcroft will go away. Is there a better reason?

astroglide
07-28-2004, 01:42 AM
no. but cheney, rumsfeld, and rice going away is pretty awesome too.

ThaSaltCracka
07-28-2004, 01:59 AM
why don't you watch the DNC?
Read the transcript of some of the speeches, especially Barack Obaram. His speech on tuesday was amazing.

Usul
07-28-2004, 02:17 AM
Replay will be coming up on CNN in an hour or so (~3:30 AM ET). If you missed it and are awake it is well worth staying up for (And I'm not even American).

natedogg
07-28-2004, 02:57 AM
The level of empty rhetoric and the onslought of bland platitudes coming from the DNC will be only matched by what's coming from the GOP in a couple weeks.

It makes me sick watching these vacant windbags spew meaningless claptrap like "There is not a liberal america and a conservative america, there is the Unites States of America". That's about as meaningful and helpful as "I'm a uniter, not a divider".

natedogg

GWB
07-28-2004, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why don't you watch the DNC?
Read the transcript of some of the speeches, especially Barack Obaram. His speech on tuesday was amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

His speech was very good, and he has a compeling personal story. The question though is how will he act as a Senator?

He allowed himself to be introduced by Carol Moseley-Braun, the one-term senator who was voted out of office by the people of Illinois after a string of corrupt and suspicious actions on her part. I hope he doesn't follow her example or that of the most liberal senator in the US, John Kerry.

ThaSaltCracka
07-28-2004, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He allowed himself to be introduced by Carol Moseley-Braun,

[/ QUOTE ] He was introduced by Dick Durbin

GWB
07-28-2004, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, although there were a series of Illinois speakers introducing each other and leading into the Obama speech, including Moseley-Braun.

cardcounter0
07-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Bush, Ashcroft, Cheney, Rice, et al have acted with little regard for any sense of right/wrong, decency, or legality.

Re-elected they will take that as a sign of approval from the American people. All gloves, or what little they have used gloves, will be off. They will be accountable to no one.

It would be like giving a blank signed check to a known embezzler. Wait a minute ...

Clarkmeister
07-28-2004, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, although there were a series of Illinois speakers introducing each other and leading into the Obama speech, including Moseley-Braun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nicely worded, as opposed to what you were really saying, namely "I was wrong, but let me explain to you why I was confused so that my mistake is understandable"

cardcounter0
07-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Let's not let facts get in the way of a good "slander by association".

Anybody want some pics of Kerry "with" Jane Fonda?

Utah
07-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Really?

What has Ashcroft done that you find lacked any sense of right/wrong, decency, or legality?

Clearly he is not responsible for the war.

cardcounter0
07-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Remember the "dirty bomber" he had the big announcement about shortly after 9/11? Seen any trial or evidence on that guy? Guy was a US Citizen captured in the US. No trial, only recently been able to talk to lawyers.

Strip Club Owner was arrested by FBI on evidence obtained by using provisions granted by the Patriot Act. I thought the exceptional powers granted by the Patriot Act were supposed to be used for terrorists, not strippers.

Ditto Cheech Marin and his arrest for selling bongs.

John "Leave No Statue Uncovered" Ashcroft? There is a lot wrong with that whacko. He needs to be sent back to some backwater Missouri revial tent meeting.

ThaSaltCracka
07-28-2004, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
although there were a series of Illinois speakers introducing each other and leading into the Obama speech, including Moseley-Braun.

[/ QUOTE ] Irrelavent. Quit trying to insinuate something about a young man who has a bright future ahead of himself, a man who will do A LOT for this country with his life. BTW, he is only 33.... what were you doing when you were 33?

banditdad
07-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Ashcroft LOST his Senate seat to a dead man!!!! The voter of MO voted a dead man into office instead of him and his consolation prize was getting to be AG. John Ashcroft is without question the most dangerous man in America, he's never met a provision of the Bill of Rights he likes. Oh maybe #2, (the right to arm bears). Be very afraid if GW gets reelected that Ashcroft will end up on the Supreme Court.

ThaSaltCracka
07-28-2004, 12:14 PM
From his speech:
[ QUOTE ]
Our pride is based on a very simple premise, summed up in a declaration made over two hundred years ago, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal. That they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights. That among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

That is the true genius of America, a faith in the simple dreams, an insistence on small miracles.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And fellow Americans -- Democrats, Republicans, Independents -- I say to you tonight: we have more work to do. More work to do for the workers I met in Galesburg, Illinois, who are losing their union jobs at the Maytag plant that's moving to Mexico, and now are having to compete with their own children for jobs that pay seven bucks an hour. More to do for the father I met who was losing his job and choking back tears, wondering how he would pay $4,500 a month for the drugs his son needs without the health benefits that he counted on. More to do for the young woman in East St. Louis, and thousands more like her, who has the grades, has the drive, has the will, but doesn't have the money to go to college.
Now don't get me wrong. The people I meet in small towns and big cities, in diners and office parks, they don't expect government to solve all their problems. They know they have to work hard to get ahead and they want to.

Go into the collar counties around Chicago, and people will tell you they don't want their tax money wasted by a welfare agency or the Pentagon.

Go into any inner city neighborhood, and folks will tell you that government alone can't teach our kids to learn. They know that parents have to parent, that children can't achieve unless we raise their expectations and turn off the television sets and eradicate the slander that says a black youth with a book is acting white. They know those things.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
John Kerry believes in the constitutional freedoms that have made our country the envy of the world, and he will never sacrifice our basic liberties nor use faith as a wedge to divide us.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You know, a while back, I met a young man named Shamus at the VFW Hall in East Moline, Illinois. He was a good-looking kid, 6-2 or 6-3, clear eyed, with an easy smile. He told me he'd joined the Marines and was heading to Iraq the following week.

And as I listened to him explain why he'd enlisted, his absolute faith in our country and its leaders, his devotion to duty and service, I thought this young man was all that any of us might hope for in a child. But then I asked myself: Are we serving Shamus as well as he was serving us?

I thought of the 900 men and women, sons and daughters, husbands and wives, friends and neighbors, who will not be returning to their hometowns. I thought of families I had met who were struggling to get by without a loved one's full income, or whose loved ones had returned with a limb missing or nerves shattered, but who still lacked long-term health benefits because they were reservists.

When we send our young men and women into harm's way, we have a solemn obligation not to fudge the numbers or shade the truth about why they're going, to care for their families while they're gone, to tend to the soldiers upon their return, and to never ever go to war without enough troops to win the war, secure the peace, and earn the respect of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If there's a child on the South Side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child.

If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for their prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandparent.

If there's an Arab-American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties.

It is that fundamental belief -- it is that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"E pluribus unum." Out of many, one.

Now even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes.

Well, I say to them tonight, there's not a liberal America and a conservative America -- there is the United States of America.

There's not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America -- there is the United States of America.

The pundits, the pundits like to slice and dice our country into red states and blue states; red states for Republicans, blue states for Democrats. But I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome God in the blue states, and we don't like federal agents poking around our libraries in the red states.

We coach Little League in the blue states and have gay friends in the red states.

There are patriots who opposed the war in Iraq and patriots who supported it.

We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In the end, that's what this election is about. Do we participate in a politics of cynicism or do we participate in a politics of hope?

John Kerry calls on us to hope. John Edwards calls on us to hope. I'm not talking about blind optimism here-the almost willful ignorance that thinks unemployment will go away if we just don't talk about it, or the health care crisis will solve itself if we just ignore it.

That's not what I'm talking [about]. I'm talking about something more substantial. It's the hope of slaves sitting around a fire singing freedom songs; the hope of immigrants setting out for distant shores; the hope of a young naval lieutenant bravely patrolling the Mekong Delta; the hope of a mill worker's son who dares to defy the odds; the hope of a skinny kid with a funny name who believes that America has a place for him, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

...... I can see why GWB is worried about this guy....

Eclypse
07-28-2004, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Be very afraid if GW gets reelected that Ashcroft will end up on the Supreme Court.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read every Stephen King novel, but this is by far the most frightening sentence I've ever read.

elwoodblues
07-28-2004, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be very afraid if GW gets reelected that Ashcroft will end up on the Supreme Court.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read every Stephen King novel, but this is by far the most frightening sentence I've ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately, the chances of it happening are about as likely as the plot of "It".

Utah
07-28-2004, 01:35 PM
"Ashcroft LOST his Senate seat to a dead man!!!!"

That is incorrect, even if technically true. You know better. Everyone was well aware that they were voting for the dead man's wife.

If memory serves me correctly, she got her ass handed to her in the next election.

Utah
07-28-2004, 01:36 PM
I am not a big ascroft fan and I dont want to see him remain as attorney general.

However, its a big leap to say that he is devoid of morals, etc.

Nothing you posted makes me think this guy is evil incarnate.

cardcounter0
07-28-2004, 01:40 PM
"That is incorrect, even if technically true."

Translation: If Micheal Moore said it, then it is a big fat obvious lie.

If George Bush or his administration said it, then it is gospel truth that cannot be questioned.

cardcounter0
07-28-2004, 01:44 PM
I understand. If he took a big dump on the middle of your desk, you would thank him for the fertilizer.

He has done everything possible to circumvent the Bill of Rights, in the name of capturing terrorists, and then immediately turned around and used those powers to attack non-terrorist citizens.

If that doesn't scare you about an AG, then we won't even talk about his wacko-fundamental religious beliefs clouding his actions as AG.

trippin bily
07-28-2004, 01:49 PM
what? what are all the EVIL things john ashcroft has done?
i hear him get bashed ALL the time. Specifically, what are the deeds of evil from this monster?

hackermike
07-28-2004, 01:50 PM
There is NERVER, EVER a good reason to vote fot a democrat. When i make money, i like to keep it. i dont want the government giving it to some lazy people on welfare.

hackermike
07-28-2004, 01:51 PM
There is NEVER, EVER a good reason to vote fot a democrat. When i make money, i like to keep it. i dont want the government giving it to some lazy people on welfare.

trippin bily
07-28-2004, 01:52 PM
I want to do my homework on this satanic figure so please be specific about names etc. so I can do a google search.
ty

elwoodblues
07-28-2004, 02:07 PM
In this thread there was the specific example of selling the USA PATRIOT act as a tool to fight terrorists (against whom many were willing to look the other way on some of the civil rights issues) and then using it against individuals/organizations that are clearly not terrorist related.

banditdad
07-28-2004, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is NEVER, EVER a good reason to vote fot a democrat. When i make money, i like to keep it. i dont want the government giving it to some lazy people on welfare.

[/ QUOTE ]

We all saw the post the first time you put it up. Yeah, much better they give it to some lazy, coupon clipping, trust fund baby, rich people. At least they won't spend their money on foolish things like food & clothes.

And God forbid, never ever give it to the middle class.

banditdad
07-28-2004, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Ashcroft LOST his Senate seat to a dead man!!!!"

That is incorrect, even if technically true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, how can something be true & incorrect at the same time?

andyfox
07-28-2004, 02:52 PM
A Democratic president signed a bill which took 50% of people on the welfare off of it. The Dems in Congress would never have gone along with it had there been a Republican in the White House.

miamikid
07-28-2004, 10:47 PM
And the new president will appoint the new Justices, and they stay on for as long as they want.

Most important reason to be voting for whoever you vote for is this issue.

banditdad
07-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Somewhere in Texas a village is missing its idiot.

Rooster71
07-29-2004, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Re-elected they will take that as a sign of approval from the American people. All gloves, or what little they have used gloves, will be off. They will be accountable to no one.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I am worried about. Also, I think that when it comes to character issues, John Kerry is at a major disadvantage. Since the Bush folks did such a good job of quelling the uproar about his shady past (DWI, drugs, numerous arrests) during the 2000 election, it will be hard for Kerry to use it against him. If Bush was not a sitting president, Kerry would win by a landslide, IMHO.