PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Chance to Fold Aces Preflop

37offsuit
07-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Speed MTT 152 entrants, top 18 pay. Down to 21 players 8 at my table.

Previous hand in SB I got crippled, left with only T695. Blinds just moved up to 5,000/10,000.

I'm auto folding, basically hoping 3 more get knocked out before the massive blinds get back to me. I checked all the tables before the last hand which aided my decision to play it through (knowing I'd have a few chips left) and there are quite a few people who won't make it through their blinds.

On the button the very next hand, I get AA and fold without thinking.

I made it into the money placing 18th, but would do the same every time.

Anyone call here?

kyro
07-27-2004, 08:24 PM
hmm, you'd have to gazoople up to have enough for a blind. no, fold unless you think a small stack is going all in, then i call.

AtlBrvs4Life
07-27-2004, 08:41 PM
I don't think I ever call. One quick question though. Who in their right mind let you get out of a hand with 650 left and blinds at 5k/10k?

Roman
07-27-2004, 08:52 PM
maybe he had someone covered by that much and lost an all in /images/graemlins/confused.gif

AtlBrvs4Life
07-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Good point. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

37offsuit
07-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Previous hand I flopped bottom two and pushed, stack that called had top pair and caught his kicker, I had him just barely covered.

Paul2432
07-27-2004, 10:59 PM
You did not mention if there are antes in this tournament. If there are not, then I agree easy fold. If there are then easy call.

Paul

SossMan
07-28-2004, 12:06 AM
I thought the title of your post was pretty funny...like you are looking with all your might for a chance to fold AA. For what it's worth, I think this is one of the few times in a non-sattelite situation that I agree that folding everything is correct...good muck.

Lurshy
07-28-2004, 10:04 AM
I guess I'll take the contra here. I look to win, not get my buy-in back after hours of work. You can triple up with your all-in. And with post flop action you may find yourself heads-up vs. one blind with you holding AA. If you won, you would still need another hand in the next orbit, but at least you would have a fighting chance to get healthy.

durron597
07-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Let's take the most extreme case and assume that he will get four people to call him, and that he beats them all. Then he will have 5x695 chips or T2780. With the blinds at T5000/T10000, he still has barely more than half a small blind. He would need to 4xhimself AGAIN to have ONE BB, and he only has one orbit to do it.

I would only consider calling here if I knew that everyone was really tight, and I was absolutely 100% positive that three more people wouldn't bust that orbit. Then my only chance of moneying is to hope I get a lot of callers here and then get another not one but TWO monster hands, which is the only way to get back above a 1xBB level.

Good fold.

SpiderMnkE
07-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Lurshy... did you even think about the situation... hahaha

This is not an "I play to win" situation. At this point it is clearly a "Is it possible to squeak into the money with my 2 chips and 2 million dollar blinds" situation.

We are all playing to win, not just get our buyin back. I know you've heard that a lot and wanted to say it yourself... but this is not the time to bubble yourself out.

SpiderMnkE
07-28-2004, 10:51 AM
In fact... I'm sure he was playing to win when he got himself down to virtually no chips.

Lurshy
07-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Perhaps you are right, and perhaps I took the position just to be contra. But, still many including some that agree with his fold, would call, as that is human nature though it may not be smart.

SossMan
07-28-2004, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'll take the contra here. I look to win, not get my buy-in back after hours of work. You can triple up with your all-in. And with post flop action you may find yourself heads-up vs. one blind with you holding AA. If you won, you would still need another hand in the next orbit, but at least you would have a fighting chance to get healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even tripling up isn't going to do him much good. He is much better off folding here.

(did I just say that?)