PDA

View Full Version : Feel inclined to bet when you are pre-flop raiser?

FlashFunk
07-27-2004, 07:30 PM
I was wondering what you good players felt about this. Say you were the preflop raiser and narrowed down the field to 2 or 3 other players. You hold KQ or something similar and the board shows rags with you having 2 overs (no obvious flush/straight draws for you). We can also assume you are on the button. Do you bet this every single time it is checked around to you? How much (as a percentage of the pot)? If you did this every time wouldn't other players catch on and pop you back even though they hold nothing?

I find my self in this position alot and tend to just pot it. However I'm always worried that other players will see this and start re-raising me even though they hold nothing.

Also what do you do, if 1 player calls ur attempt to steal. The river seems to be another unhelpful rag and he checks to you again. Do you pot it once more? or check behind him. I tend to check behind him, but feel really weak doing so.

How do you good players tend to play this? And what variables affect your decision?

FlashFunk
07-29-2004, 12:03 AM
nt

umdpoker
07-29-2004, 12:37 AM
if its checked to me on the flop, i make a fairly large 3/4 pot or so bet almost every time. continuing the bluff after that depends on what i think of my opponent, but i usually give it up after the flop.

Huskiez
07-29-2004, 05:06 PM
I will almost always pot it on the flop, especially if (as in this situation) the preflop callers checked to me and there is no one left to act behind me.

One time I will simply check behind though is if the board is draw heavy (i.e. two or three cards of the same suit, three low cards connected, or two high cards connected).

Now if people happen to catch on to this, then they will also pay me off when I really do have a hand like an overpair or TPTK.

Generally if they call the flop, I am prepared to give up on the hand and check the turn, unless I catch a pair. I will check the turn if I catch a nice draw as well, getting the free card.

Wayfare
07-29-2004, 05:08 PM
I am generally not the PFR with KQo, but if you're going to raise preflop, pot it (not 3/4 of the pot) like 2/3 of the time when you miss, and every time when you hit.

JrJordan
07-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Wayfarer,
Why don't you like the 3/4 pot? I've found in my experiences so far that the 3/4 pot bet has about the same folding equity as a full bot bet. Anyone on a draw or having TP that will call a 3/4 bet will surely call a full bet. When they do call, you lose much less giving the pot up with 3/4. What have your expereinces been with the two?

tubbyspencer
07-29-2004, 05:44 PM
I agree, 3/4 pot is fine. Even 2/3rds pot can achieve the same objective, and be easier to get away from later.

umdpoker
07-29-2004, 08:36 PM
cool. i usually 3/4 pot it. good to hear i'm not playing too weak. i also agree with checking if the board looks like it could have hit somebody else, or if i flopped a draw. this is unless i flop an ace high flush draw. i will bet that almost every time.