PDA

View Full Version : Worst Beer

Toro
07-27-2004, 06:35 PM
We had a best beer thread so why not a worst beer thread. For me it was Shlitz after they changed the recipe. Early 70's my buddies and me were big Shiltz drinkers, the stuff was tasted great.

Then for reasons that I never found out, they changed the recipe. It was disastrous. The new stuff was virtually undrinkable. In fact, i think they ended up going out of business. Years later, I read an interview of James Coburn who was their spokesperson in their advertising and they asked him about it. He said he didn't know why they did it but agreed that after they changed it, it tasted like shiit!

ThaSaltCracka
07-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Henikken (sp?) taste like absolute trash

James Boston
07-27-2004, 06:47 PM
I, personally, cannot stand Guinness or Sam Adams. Flame away.

nolanfan34
07-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Budweiser, and it's not close. At least IMO. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

WEASEL45
07-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Pabst Genuine Draft is the worst beer ive had. Since Schlitz is malt liquour the worst malt liquor ive had is olde enlgish ice. its like 8.5% and it tastes like dirt. its only like $1.50 for a 40oz so its a good deal if you're already drunk

ThaSaltCracka
07-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Guinness is a beer that grows on you, I personally really like it, but if someone doesnt like it, that makes sense to me. I will however second your nomination for Sam Adams.

blackaces13
07-27-2004, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, you just named my 2 favorite beers.

Diplomat
07-27-2004, 07:02 PM
Pilsner or Bud lite. Both taste like tar and smell like ass.

-Diplomat

Ed Miller
07-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Both taste like tar and smell like ass.

You are apparently not acquainted with Sam Adams Triple Bock (http://www.samadams.com/beer/styles/triple_bock.html) . Now THAT is a "beer" that tastes like tar and smells like ass.

Homer
07-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Pabst Blue Ribbon is the worst, followed by Natty Ice and Beast.

Gewurtztraminer
07-27-2004, 07:22 PM
My vote is for Pearl Light.

Undrinkable.

Gewürtztraminer

Sloats
07-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Black Label, Any Gennesee, and Rolling Rock

(I don't consider anything by Coors to be beer)

Ulysses
07-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Worst Beers list (http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp)

My pick, however, is not on that list. I challenge anyone to come up with something worse. Nothing on the list or in the thread so far is even close.

Cool Colt (http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/coolcolt.html)

Colt 45 Malt Liquor w/ a menthol flavor added. Yes, really. They had a shipment of this at the cool little grad student pub on campus when I went to college. It was worse than it sounds.

GWB
07-27-2004, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Black Label, Any Gennesee, and Rolling Rock

(I don't consider anything by Coors to be beer)

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I get a perverse pleasure in drinking Gennesee Cream Ale.

Uh, that is, way back when, when I was still drinking.

Simon Diamond
07-27-2004, 08:10 PM
All beer tastes crap in my opinion, with one exception - thank heavens for cider.

May my guts rot in hell.

Simon

blackaces13
07-27-2004, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pabst Blue Ribbon is the worst, followed by Natty Ice and Beast.

[/ QUOTE ]

College kids everywhere are now cursing your name.

banditbdl
07-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Now we're talking, those are 3 truly bad beers. Although I would have to swap it up a little, Beast is the worst, Natty Ice is 2nd worst, and PBR comes in 3rd.

Oski
07-27-2004, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pabst Blue Ribbon is the worst,

[/ QUOTE ]

Frank Booth: Time to step up and defend your beer.

Ulysses
07-27-2004, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cool Colt (http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/coolcolt.html)

Colt 45 Malt Liquor w/ a menthol flavor added.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, guys. This thread is over.

bwana devil
07-27-2004, 11:06 PM
it's not the worst. just the most overrated in the states.

Fosters.

tastes just like budweiser. costs twice as much. and from the australians ive spoken with, they consider it trashy beer.

M2d
07-27-2004, 11:39 PM
strohs (do they still make this?)
Ranier ("brewed through a chicken")

HDPM
07-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Of the commonly available beers - Bud Light. One of the few beers I avoid when free.

Worse than any other I have had, and I have had many of the mildly bad beers mentioned here, although not the menthol malt liquor, was this beer called Heidelberg my roommate freshman year bought. We had barely enough money left for beer and he was sent with the scrapings to buy. Instead of getting some Bud or rainier or oly or strohs or any other regular bad beer, he got double or triple the quantity of heidelberg. If you could drink two of them you got a migraine level headache. We tried giving it away and couldn't. I wish it had some menthol. Worse than country club malt liquor, mils best, old swill, and many others.

Vern
07-28-2004, 01:10 AM
Back in the late 70's NY had a grocery store chain called Bell's. They sold cases(24) of 12oz cans of Red, White & Blue for $4. My father convinced me that you only taste the first few beers at a party so drink a couple of expensive beers then switch to RW&B. Half the cans had been frozen and/or baked prior to sale so it was all skunked. I still need to get back at my dad for getting me to drink that stuff.

Vern

As a highschooler though, you couldn't beat 17c for a can of beer. We were outraged when they added the 5c deposit per can because it increased our costs by almost 30%

nicky g
07-28-2004, 05:25 AM
Plenty of people don't like guinness which is fine but I take issue with the idea that it's a bad beer. I don't like Hoegaarden byut I wouldn;t call it bad, it's just not my thing.

Over here, Fosters and Carling are truly bad beers. Nearly all UK-brewed lagers are pretty bad.

James Boston
07-28-2004, 08:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since Schlitz is malt liquour ...

[/ QUOTE ]

They also make beer. It's ass, but cheap as hell.

James Boston
07-28-2004, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Of the commonly available beers - Bud Light. One of the few beers I avoid when free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who turns down free beer?!?!

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Gave us only one thing worse than 21% mortgage rates:

Billy Beer

scotnt73
07-28-2004, 10:44 AM
my grandfather drinks old milwaukee..when i was about 15 i learned to choke this crap down...i later learned that beer could actually be enjoyable

jagoff
07-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Homer-
Are you nuts? Beast RULES!

jagoff
07-28-2004, 10:47 AM
I got the one that beats all hands down.

It is labeled as the beer for diabetics because there is no sugar in it. As we all know sugar makes everything better. Without further adieu...Straub

citanul
07-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Bell's (if it's the same brewery) actually makes some very good beers at the moment. It's "expensive" if compared to Bud, but basically averaged priced compared to other drinkables.

If you drink Blue Moon, give their Oberon a chance. If no on the whiter beers, any of their other varieties are good.

citanul

citanul
07-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Although it sounds like El Diablo has this contest won in a blowout, my vote goes for Sam Adams Christmas Ale. Vague taste of (I think it was) cranberries and an overpowering taste of nutmeg.

Simply terrible.

citanul

wayabvpar
07-28-2004, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Philistine. Guinness is like mother's milk! It is a bit of an acquired taste, but well worth the effort.

Worst beer?

http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/oehg800.jpg

Never had the menthol flavored Colt (it sounds horrifying!), but this is the worst beer I have personally tasted.

trippin bily
07-28-2004, 01:59 PM
worst beer for me is any mexican beer..corona, dos equis, tecate, any other one you can name. all have the all to familiar smell of urine IMO.
as for you sam adams haters...it is one of my all time favorites. the guy that brews it just loves beer. as do I.

Toro
07-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Yes, we all know that they piss into that Mexican beer before the bottle it and ship it out to the U.S. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

beerbandit
07-28-2004, 03:36 PM
my vote has to be natural ice (i dont really care for natural lite either)

i love beer and i will drink beer forever. but i cannot even bear to finish a whole can of it.

beer

JeffO
07-28-2004, 05:23 PM
Back in my troubled teens we used to go for quantity over quality. There was a beer called Black Label, you could pick up a case for 3.99 plus deposit for the long necks.

Also I'm not sure if this one is a beer or malt liquor, but Mickeys Big Mouths, AKA skunk beer was pretty nasty.

adios
07-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Whoa there partner I like Mickey's /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Carlings Black Label is a pretty good pick, I've had worse though. I haven't read every post but most of them don't even come close to picking the worst beers. When I was younger and poorer I learned that if I got any brand icey, icey cold I could drink it. So I'd get cheap beer and chill it to as cold of termperature as I possibly could. It was the morning after that did me in though /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Honestly a couple of friends and I became conniseurs of bad beer to save a buck or two. Man those times were long ago. I may drink one beer a week now.

adios
07-28-2004, 05:32 PM

Aces McGee
07-28-2004, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the worst malt liquor ive had is olde enlgish ice. its like 8.5% and it tastes like dirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy. Nothing beats the 8-ball.

-McGee

Aces McGee
07-28-2004, 05:53 PM
I suspect that I'll receive explosives in my mailbox for saying this, but I've never had any beer I disliked more than Corona. This is coming from someone who sampled over two dozen varieties of malt liquor (though not, unfortunately, Cool Colt) while on a quest in college, so I'm no stranger to bad beer.

-McGee

Aces McGee
07-28-2004, 05:54 PM
This post is an outrage. HG800 isn't even close to the worst malt liquor around, never mind worst beer.

-McGee

nolanfan34
07-28-2004, 06:05 PM
I actually agree with you, if you need to put a lime in a beer to make it taste good, that's not a good thing. Corona without the lime is horrible.

Aces McGee
07-28-2004, 06:14 PM
I know a guy who adamantly maintains that the whole lime thing was started by Corona to hide the fact that their beer tastes like skunk piss.

The argument goes that Corona comes in clear glass bottles, which he says are cheaper than brown or green glass bottles. However, beer in a clear bottle is more susceptible to skunking due to exposure to light. So the Corona distributors started this whole thing where you have to put a lime in it, pretending it's some Mexican custom or whatever, when in fact it's only to save themselves a few bucks while still selling sh*tty beer.

It's a fun theory, anyway.

-McGee

cold_cash
07-29-2004, 01:16 AM
I love Corona and lime.

Worst beer ever is MGD and it's not close.

Another nasty one is Obsidian Ale. It's so stout it's almost impossible to choke down even one sip. My buddy ordered one at a pub once and I accidentally knocked it off the table. It hit the floor and bounced around a little bit, but luckily (I guess) none of it spilled.