PDA

View Full Version : Sticking My Neck Out - A Question on SSH's Preflop Chart

Lost Wages
07-27-2004, 06:35 PM
On the tight games chart, late position, against a raise, under the exception that 3 players have entered the pot. Still with me? QJs-T9s are listed as cold-calling hands while ATs and KJs are not. Intentional or oversight? Yes, I know it's close and I should be worrying about other things /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Chop away.

Lost Wages

BottlesOf
07-27-2004, 06:42 PM
you mean it says fold and not 3 bet?

HajiShirazu
07-27-2004, 06:48 PM
I think it's probably intentional. JTs and T9s and to a lesser extent QJs are more likely to be "live" against a raiser, and of course they also have much more straight potential. In this case you're playing mostly for the straight or flush anyway so these hands are actually better against a raise than their bigger gapped cousins.

Lost Wages
07-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. It say to fold them.

Lost Wages

BBill
07-27-2004, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's probably intentional. JTs and T9s and to a lesser extent QJs are more likely to be "live" against a raiser, and of course they also have much more straight potential. In this case you're playing mostly for the straight or flush anyway so these hands are actually better against a raise than their bigger gapped cousins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that JTs, T9s and Qjs are more live against a raiser but you say "in this case you're playing for the straight or flush"
If that were the case ATs and KJs would be have great flush potential.

I would assume that if this is a tight game where TPTK wins and chasing str8s and flushes is not profitable that if you have ATs or KJs and there is a raise, and the flop brings an A or a K you are probably out-kicked and it would be tough to throw thoses cards away.

Danenania
07-27-2004, 11:02 PM
I think it's the combination of straight AND flush potential plus the fact that your implied odds are quite high due to pot size that make these hands sometimes playable for a raise. Also not having an A or K in hand makes it easier to squeak out a win with an undominated pair.

BBill
07-27-2004, 11:57 PM
I think it's the combination of straight AND flush potential plus the fact..

Yes I see now that is what HajiShirazu is explaining, thanks