PDA

View Full Version : tryed to buy a pot during bubble stage, yay or nay?

pokerraja
07-27-2004, 05:40 PM
This happened to me a few nights ago. I forgot to post this right away. i dont remember the specifics, but here is the jist of it. its bubble time during a MTT at PP. I am about average with 6K in chips. blinds are 300-600. 2 more to go till the money. our table of mostly smaller stacks are folding to just about anybet. I get black (9,9) in MP. I open raise to 1800. I just want to win blinds here. Its folded to BB, who has T3000. He thinks and then finally calls. Flop comes out (A,10,7) all clubs. He checks to me. I figure, with that scarey board, if i put him all-in, he will have to fold unless of course he flopped it, and I do have 9 clubs, that might be good. If I lose, I still have enough chips. So I bet 1200, so I put him all-in. He quickly calls, he shows A-10 hearts, and his 2 pair hold up to take the pot. I was really surprised he makes this call so close to the money. what do you guys think? Good move or bad move. I was left with 3000 chips and after making the money, i didnt really do much damage.

SossMan
07-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Well, he wasn't calling off 60% of his stack to fold top two pair just because the board is monotone.

The preflop call is pretty bad, IMO.
The flop call is a no brainer.

cferejohn
07-27-2004, 07:30 PM
You arguably could have just pushed preflop. Might not have made a difference. His preflop call is silly. Given that he called off over 1/2 of his chips preflop though, there's no way in creation that he's going to lay down an ace here, and certainly not two pair.

Otoh, you can't lay down 99 + a flush draw for another 1200 into a ~3500 pot either, and you certainly can't pass up the opportunity to open-raise with something as good as 99 from MP. I don't see how you play it any differently. Maybe check/call the flop, but that's going to end up the same way...

pokerraja
07-27-2004, 09:08 PM
thanks guys for the replies. I thought I played it ok. I didnt want to push, only because if someone reraises me all in, I would lay it down. Just because I was so close to the money. Sometimes, I dont care about the money/bubble, and just play aggresively. anyways, after the flop, im wondering if i should just check the flop, and hopefully we can check all the way through. I was kind of scared if i check the flop, he will bet the turn, and i really wanted to be the aggessor.