PDA

View Full Version : I FOUND THE CURE!!!

stupidsucker
07-27-2004, 05:02 PM
I had been struggling as of late. Not even losing money, just not making it. My first 175 20's went fantastic. 36% RoI, everything seemed to be going as planed. Then my last 200 I made 60 bucks. Up and down and up and down.. Always ending the day even within a hundred bucks. 3 days straight of this.

I decided to take my own advice and evaluate my game, look for leaks where I may have started to vear off course. Couldnt find anything significant, but little things here and there I thought may have been creeping into my play.

So I did what any sane person would do. I moved up! I had mentioned I was going to move up last week, but I stayed at the 20's wanting to finish 300 at that level.(I've still only done 277).

I decided to play 4 30's and see how it went. Ignoring good advice that I should move up at the fishiest of times, I played this afternoon when its still moderatly good. I fired up 4 at once like I always do, and I plowed through it like butta. 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd. 100% ITM 318% RoI!!!

I am never playing another 30 again so I can keep that RoI!

It really helped a ton to see the light of day and to give myself confidence. I felt it was a good move because I was in a rut, but I felt my game was still good. I wanted change. Had I lost it woulda have sucked, but I had the bankroll, I had the ambition, the know-how, and the confidence.

Thought people might like to hear a success story rather then the bad beats that have been circulationg around.

UncleRemus
07-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Hey Vrel, LimpGoat here...
Very happy to see the poker gods making good on their debts to you. But I think you must have passed that running bad streak onto me! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Had my WORST OTM streak yesterday at 10 straight tourneys and called it a night. I guess it was an eventual inevitable playing so many a day, but it has definitely shaken my confidence. Perhaps I'll try your cure and see if it can give me a little esteem boost.

Time to try "the cure" and start the grind!

Maybe see ya on the tables, and good luck,
Remus

stupidsucker
07-27-2004, 05:56 PM
if you play enough tourneys 10 OTM is not uncommon at all.

My worst streak is 12 OTM and 20/22.(2 3rds in between)

My ITM was only down about 5 %, but I was taking too many thirds, and thus really hurting my RoI. Hope things work out for you. Ive played with you, and I am confident you are w inning player. The streaks are just part of it, and we all want to pull our hair out in the middle of them.

UncleRemus
07-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for "the cure" as well! I played a couple 50+5's and managed to take 1st and 3rd, and I think I've got my head back now. It almost makes me want to keep playing a couple 50's on the side, food for thought at least. I told myself I wouldn't completely move back up until I had more in my bankroll, but perhaps a half and half compromise would be in order.

12 OTM in a row, ouch! I guess rather than being bummed maybe I should be thankful that it wasn't worse. I had a few streaks of 7 and 8 in the past, but 10 felt awful. I'm sure it will happen again, though, so I might as well get used to it.

All in all, I guess I'll chalk it up to a learning experience and will hopefully stick to my game a little better next time it happens. My game will never be at the level I want if I can't handle the worst of the bad streaks.

Again, thanks for the advice and good luck,
Remus

AtlBrvs4Life
07-27-2004, 06:49 PM
This may work for some people, but I have to disagree on it being the cure. I don't think moving up limits in the middle of a losing streak is a wise choice. I know in your case, your bankroll could handle the hit if you lost, but in most people's cases, it is asking for trouble. If you need a change to get yourself out of a bad streak, moving down limits is probably a better change.

Here is an article by Daniel N. that talks about running bad and possible solutions. http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/?a_id=12640&PHPSESSID=fa783173fdb59957db1a40810dfd 4e6d

stupidsucker
07-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Ya, it was the cure for me, but I should have put a disclaimer up. I don't recomend everyone do what I did. Its like this for me. I was saying to myself. "Ok you know you are a winner", but I half my mind had doubts. So the bold part of me took over and was like... "We're moving up , I'll prove it to you". Now my entire head is in the game.

I'll have to check out that link. Have things picked up for you AtlBrvs4Life? I know you had your own rough patch to deal with.

EDIT: It wont let me look at the artical. My spybot is blocking doubleclick and it wont show me anything... Bleh.

AtlBrvs4Life
07-27-2004, 08:27 PM
Things have gotten better thanks for asking. I went down to the $10 tournaments for a while and did some NL 25 tables. My bankroll has recovered since I posted about my problems. The posters here helped me get back in the right mindset to continue winning. Thanks guys.

ethan
07-28-2004, 06:13 AM
My bankroll took a pretty significant beating through June, and I've recently done the same as you. The 10+1s and $25NL also let me get some practice 3-tabling, which I was reluctant to do at the higher limits.

And likewise, a lot of my success has been aided by the posters here.

stupidsucker
07-28-2004, 03:02 PM
I finished the day up $550, putting me almost right back on par with where I was before the long even streak. I even threw in a few of the PL O8's.

mackthefork
07-28-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I finished the day up $550, putting me almost right back on par with where I was before the long even streak. I even threw in a few of the PL O8's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to hear it, I'm pretty sure confidence is a much bigger factor in this game than it's ever given credit for, thats probably why up and down swings are often accentuated.

Regards ML