PDA

View Full Version : What would you do in my position?

Chazbot2000
07-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Interesting Party $100NL hand:

Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Player 1 ( $95)
Seat 2: Player 2 ( $45.05)
Seat 3: Player 3 ( $368.15)
Seat 4: Player 4 ( $48.95)
Seat 5: Chazbot2000 ( $414.60)
Seat 6: Player 5 ( $41)
Seat 7: Player 6 ( $234.50)
Seat 8: Player 7 ( $103.10)
Seat 9: Player 8 ( $50.50)
Seat 10: Villan ( $133.15)

I'm dealt Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the big blind.

2 players limp, small blind completes, I'm in the big blind and check. 4 players to the flop with $8 in the pot.

Flop comes: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Small blind checks, I bet $8 with top pair, second kicker.
Next player folds. Villan calls. Two to the turn with $23 in the pot.

Turn comes A /images/graemlins/club.gif for:

Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet $23, villan calls. Two to the river with $67 in the pot.

River is a 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for:

Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check. Villan bets $100.15 (all in).

How would you have played this hand overall, and what's your decision on the river?

Thanks!

JrJordan
07-27-2004, 04:47 PM
A lot depends on your read of the guy. Is he a tight passive calling station or would he put his stack in on a stone cold bluff? That being said, I don't like your pot sized bet on the turn. I would probably make it closer to 3/4 or 2/3 pot size. It still gives him improper odds to any of the 50 draws on the board, but also lets you get away more easily to his overbet on the river.

The key thing here is the overbet. What is he trying to represent here? It's possible he has KJ for the nuts. My guess is he would c/r on the turn if this were the case though. If you're beat I'd say 2 pair is more likely. It's honestly going to come down to your read. What does his overbet mean, a missed draw bluff or a monster hoping you'll think it's a bluff? I would have made a smaller turn bet, and as a result probably would lay it down. In your case I think I'd lay it down as well.

toby
07-27-2004, 04:55 PM
If you can read the villain as a flush-chaser, I would bet again when the river missed. Otherwise, check-fold is okay against a bet that size given that there is a lot out there that can beat you.

Chazbot2000
07-27-2004, 06:21 PM
I thought long and hard about the $100 river bet. I checked to him in the first place because I started to worry that I was betting into the nuts (KJ) and didn't want to lose any more money.

After his river bet, my thought process was:

- Villain did't have A-Q, Q-Q or 10-10. He only limped preflop.

- Villan could have had KJ for the nuts. However with two potential flush draws on the turn, I think he would have raised me on the flop or the turn to push me out while he knew he still had the best hand. My reasoning is the same for why he doesn't have 99 or Q-10.

- In the end I decided he missed his own flush draw and was trying to bet me off the hand. I called. Villain had J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for a pair of 9's and a missed straight draw. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm convinced if the flop and turn had no flush potentials, I would have laid this down, assuming I was betting into KJ the whole time.

I appreciate the advice to bet 2/3 the pot on the turn. This makes a lot of sense for all the reasons outlined.