PDA

View Full Version : Stop and go with top two...

ElSapo
07-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Good Party 2/4 game. I raise KQo and get called in two spots. Flop is 2JQr, I bet, one caller. Turn is a K, I bet, he raises...

I called and bet the river-blank. He raised again, I called.

Does everyone 3-bet the turn? Considering he called the raise pre-flop it's tough to put him on a set of deuces, and seems he would have re-raised KK, QQ or JJ. But a straight is possible.

But I thought there was some chance I was behind, as this guy had not been too agressive so far. So if I three-bet I'm not laying down to his cap and I'll call the river, so that's five bets. Calling and betting again I can limit it to four if he pops it again.

Weak thinking?

PokerNoob
07-27-2004, 04:39 PM
I dunno. I'm not quite willing to put him on AT, or big pockets yet after the turn raise since he could be doing this with AK, AQ, AJ, KJ, or QJ, particulary if he picked up a backdoor flush draw. Of course, your 3 bet might slow down JJ and even QQ. I like 3 betting and betting the river if called and checkcalling if capped.

MoreWineII
07-27-2004, 04:44 PM
10-9 would have given him an open-ender which the K hit.

However, that's the only hand I could realistically put him on that you aren't ahead of. A-10 is along-shot. Although it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a Party-er call heads-up for a gut-shot. JJ, QQ, KK, don't seem likely, although they *are* possible.

I think I'm in call-down mode here simply because I would be unable to fold for a cap.

That might be weak thinking though.

btw, I posted a similar hand earlier today in which I had top two and got popped on the river. Turned out he had lower two pair, FWIW.

Victor
07-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Repop him on the turn. If he caps, then check-call the river. Thats 5-bets if he has a straight or a set (doubtful).

More likely is K-J or Q-J. If he just calls your 3-bet then bet again on the river.

sthief09
07-27-2004, 05:22 PM
looks more like QJ than anything else to be honest. not sure I 3-bet the turn though.