PDA

View Full Version : Home game, Pocket 10's, good fold?

young nut
07-27-2004, 03:59 PM
OK, so i was at a home game the other night, and I showed up a little late. They had already been playing for about an hour, so I came in with my 10 bucks against a few bigger stacks.

One guy in particular, a very LAGgy player, was sitting to my right. I hadn't had very good cards, stack down to about 8.50. I get dealt pocket 10's in BB. Everyone folds around to SB who raises a dollar, I reriase another dollar, and he announces all in. I thought about this for a while, and from his tells he looked pretty strong. I figured him for AK, AQ, or maybe Jacks. So I told him it was a little too early in the night for coinflips, and folded. Was this a good move?

He later announced that he had AK suited, so I technically was favored, but it is still a coinflip.

kasual
07-27-2004, 05:07 PM
You're exactly right, at least in my mind. Most players who try to get all the money in before the flop, are doing so with very high cards. You could have easily put him on JJ, QQ, KK, AA, in which you would have been a huge dog. From your $10 buy-in, I'd immediately dismiss the idea he was trying to steal your inexpensive blind.

Good fold. No reason endangering your stack that early.

kas

jmark
07-27-2004, 05:12 PM
What were the blinds? If the SB raised you $1 I think you should have reraised more, depending on the blinds.

gvibes
07-27-2004, 05:12 PM
There is, by my count, something like 11 in the pot, and you would need to call 6 more (we don't know what the blinds were, but let's assume BB = .5).

So, if you know it's a conflip, it's an auto-call.

jmark
07-27-2004, 06:00 PM
That's true. You're getting almost 3:1 on your call. Granted if you knew he had JJ-AA it would be a good fold, but if you knew he had 2 overcards, call. In this spot against typical opponents I think the min-raise/all-in is usually AA or KK.

kasual
07-27-2004, 11:38 PM
The way I read it, he was only going to play with 10 bucks, and seemed like he wanted to stick around and play for a little while (not sure how possible that is with only 10 bucks /images/graemlins/smile.gif ), so giving that situation, a coin flip paying only 3:1 wouldn't be the ideal "going out" hand.

Maybe I'm a bit bias because 10 10 isn't my favorite hand when I have all my chips in preflop.

razor
07-27-2004, 11:59 PM
How is he getting 3:1?

If the pot is about $11 and it's $6 to call... than young nut is getting about 1.8:1.

razor
07-28-2004, 12:06 AM
It would be helpful to know what the blinds are.

If you think SB is trying to steal your blinds than you should re-raise more (I hate min-raises).

If you think SB has a legitimate hand and you are concerned about stack preservation but don't want to give up on your hand just yet... call and see if the flop brings you a T, undercards or it looks like the flop missed SB.

I think the fold is fine but it's a shame to put in 1/4 of your stack and not see a flop.

mistrpug
07-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Even if he's getting 3:1 here, he doesn't know it's two overs. Best case it's a coinflip. He could be in a lot of trouble here, I fold.

Navers
07-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Is there any way to actually get out of these situations without being pot-committed? Instead of reraising one dollar, should you anticipate being put all-in?

hulk3rules
07-28-2004, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if he's getting 3:1 here, he doesn't know it's two overs. Best case it's a coinflip. He could be in a lot of trouble here, I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best case? If the raiser has a big stack, who's to say he isn't trying to push around the new guy to the table with something like a medium pocket pair?

jmark
07-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Oops the 3 is so close to the 2. Maybe I need smaller fingers. Or maybe I meant 3 for 1, yeah that's it.

jmark
07-28-2004, 05:12 PM
It's hard not to be pot committed with such short stacks. That's why I hate these types of NL games.