PDA

View Full Version : moving up to 5/10

caneman
07-27-2004, 11:29 AM
I've been playing online for about 5 months, moving up the limit ranks and have built up a 5k+ bankroll. For the month that I played 3/6, I breezed through it and I feel i'm ready to move up to 5/10.

I've heard that 5/10 is one of the harder limits in online poker because most people who play this limit are serious players, is this true? Should i gear my play towards solid players rather than the fish i've known and loved playing against in the lower limits?

I'm looking forward to playing 5/10 and a new challange of a higher limit but are there still many loose/passive players?

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions.

BigEndian
07-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Table texture depends on the site you play at and the particular table in question. There's a good number of posts about moving up to 5/10 on Party and how it differs from lower limits. Try a search to see if those help out.

I first hint, spend some time table hopping until you find a decent one - or get on the waiting list for tables with 7BB+. Those will probably be most like the 3/6 games you are accustomed to.

- Jim

caneman
07-27-2004, 01:13 PM
The site i've been using is party.

MAxx
07-27-2004, 01:24 PM
I have been moving back between 3-6 and 5-10. In a transitional phase. Have not played enough of 5-10 to give you a perfect answer, but here is my view. Yes 5-10 can be a little tougher, but there are still a lot of dumbass loose fish which make it look very profitable to me. I do not credit the players as being significantly better than 3-6, but IMO definately more agressive. I have noticed that I cannot play as many drawing hands much of the time b/c of preflop aggression. You probably just need to be prepared to make some minor adjustments. You will see that there are a lot of bad players. You will still see that guy who calls a raise w/ 6-9 offsuit from mp, b/c he is a jackass. I am specifically refering to party and skins. I have heard variance can be a little more steep as well. The table selection tends to drop off a little as well, especially at party and skins.

MAxx
07-27-2004, 01:32 PM
oh yeah, I am all about that 7bb avg pot hint. i am constantly hopping back and forth when tables get below 6.5 i got to head for the 7+, hopefully 7+++. Sometimes though at party, those tables arent around or available as much as you think they should be. some of it has to do with the shorthanded craze at 5/10.