PDA

View Full Version : Statistics, what to do with them?

donkeyradish
07-27-2004, 06:20 AM
I recently got a copy of PokerOffice (one of those on-line hold-em statistics loggers) and to put it through its paces I went through an exercise of playing 1000 hands at $0.50/$1, which took about 13 hours in total.

The problem is that 1000 hands is so small a sample I don't know what use to make of the results.

Is there anything remotely useful I can deduce from the statistics, or do I need to be playing for several months?

I made a profit of $12 in the 13 hours; somewhat less than I was expecting. But the swings up and down were quite large, so I don't think this tells me anything. I mean, to make $12 (or lose $5) in a single hand at this level would not be extraordinary.

But there must be some use for the summary info. For example say you aspired to make 1BB an hour, and played for X hours, is there a range you would expect your results to be in that involves the value of X?

donkeyradish
07-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Some more info, it says that...

My St. Dev per hand was 1.94
My St. Dev per hour was 16.21

What does that tell me about my win rate?

playerfl
07-27-2004, 05:31 PM
i'm curious about this also, I don't have this software; is the std. dev. unit BB ?

donkeyradish
07-28-2004, 06:09 AM
Actually the St. Dev per hour was 61, not 16 that was a typo
This is in $ but the BB was $1 anyway

Maybe I should be posting this question in another section?

playerfl
07-28-2004, 10:55 AM
try posting in the Probability section.

arekko12
07-28-2004, 04:38 PM
The standard deviation per hour is a measurement of the kind of bankroll-size you need for the playing level in question. But to extract information regarding your own mistakes during play you need a lot more information than 1000 hands. Since I pretty much already know how to play I use PokerOffice for the great game time window, adjusting my play to fit the current opponents. I suggest you at least gather around 10 000 hands before you read to much into the data..