PDA

View Full Version : Some folds

Guido
07-27-2004, 06:14 AM
Maybe these hands are all easy folds but I just want to make sure...

<font color="blue"> Hand 1</font>

I only noticed the CO raised a lot since he was at the table, that's all I have.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Guido is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Guido 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Guido bets</font>, BB folds, CO calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Guido folds

<font color="blue"> Hand 2 </font>

UTG doesn't seem to raise much. He calls any two paint cards.

Preflop: Guido is SB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Guido raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Guido bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button folds, Guido folds

<font color="blue"> Hand 3 </font>

The SB is pretty good.
CO is tricky but not very good.
No read on the rest.

Preflop: Guido is Button with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Guido calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Guido calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, CO folds, Guido folds

I'm sorry when these hands are boring...

Thanks,

Guido

chezlaw
07-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Hi Guido

I struggle with these 'easy' hands so they're not boring to me.

Hand 1: I hate to fold, calling down is 3.5:1. Depends what has happened in the previous hands he raised with; if he has seemed over agressive I would call him down otherwise I fold.

Hand 2: I don't usually fold here. How does he play hands like 88, 66, 44, A7 on a flop that could easily have missed you?

Hand 3: No fold here either. you're getting 15:1 nearly closing the action. With 2 overcards and a backdoor flush and straight, I want to see the turn card.

If this is a fold test I failed /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm not that confident with my answers so looking forward to what others think.

Chez

Peter_rus
07-27-2004, 07:37 AM
H1 - I would call/raise-fold-to-cap 50/50.
H2 - I would call against this type of opponents and fold on turn if betted and not improved and no A or K shows and i have good posibility to bluff.
H3 - I would call also. b/d flush+b/d straight+2 overcards. Ok 1 of overcards in many cases can be dead. But i still had odds i believe.

Guido
07-27-2004, 08:13 AM
Could you explain your actions?

In hand 1 I probably only beat a bluff but I don't think many players will bluff into a PF 3-better and don't forget he did raise PF so it's not unlikely he has an A or K.

Hand 2, why call when you are probably drawing to a 2 outer? Like I said he wasn't very aggressive, there aren't any draws, it isn't HU and I don't think he's going to raise something like 88 after I raised PF.

Hand 3 is a close one I think. With a bettor and 2 callers I might only be drawing to a backdoor flush or straight. I think my overcards aren't worth more than 1 or 2 outs and I might get into trouble when I hit one of those. That's why I think I might have about 3 outs. So don't you think that the fact that I might be drawing dead and that I probably have to pay of when I hit one of my overcards make this a close call or fold?

Guido

vanHelsing
07-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Hand 2
I am just curious.
I play 1/2 SH and do quite well (4,7 BB/100 multitabling in 35000 hands).
I am not playing as aggressive as the most 5/10 players do. I just do better in 1/2 to play a bit calmer.

Now I wondered about the PF raise out of position w/ 99 and allready 2 limpers in.
Is that standard play with a hand that vulnerable and difficult to play? Wouldn't you prefer to see the Flop before investing more? Aren't you giving your opponents better odds to push you around on Flop? Are you doing that mainly to get BB out?

Sorry if my questions are nerving, but I know my aggressiveness is the main point to work on before I move up to 5/10 again.

Peter_rus
07-27-2004, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't you prefer to see the Flop before investing more?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's terrible mistake not to raise here. You have very strong hand against two limpers. You know they nearly never have pocket pairs higher than yours and you also now that they miss their flops together around 40-50% of time. But also you know that even if they hit something with their K8s on 238 flop they will pay you out. If they hit K or any other high card- than you can safely fold in many cases.

Peter_rus
07-27-2004, 08:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In hand 1 I probably only beat a bluff but I don't think many players will bluff into a PF 3-better and don't forget he did raise PF so it's not unlikely he has an A or K.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he raises often - i didn't believe him. This ace is the last chance for his 77 to get this pot. If you have it - he can safely fold if no and you fold - he is happy. Of course he CAN have an ace but probability of this i think around of 65-70% depending on him raising standart and considering he do not always bluff this way - so this let you call because you have odds more than 1:3.

[ QUOTE ]
why call when you are probably drawing to a 2 outer? Like I said he wasn't very aggressive, there aren't any draws

[/ QUOTE ]

AKo is draw too accept?

[ QUOTE ]
it isn't HU and I don't think he's going to raise something like 88 after I raised PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok and what do you think he will do with this hand?

Once again i think he has Q more than 50% of time but not 90% of time and i want to be more sure.

Hand 3 is really borderline even more if SB is capable of check-raising flop.

schubes
07-27-2004, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If they hit K or any other high card- than you can safely fold in many cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to be critical, but didn't you argue against Guido folding in Hand 2?

Peter_rus
07-27-2004, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to be critical, but didn't you argue against Guido folding in Hand 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep i did. But it's not the flop i want to fold. I can easily fold on something like 37A or 2JK, maybe even 37K but never on 27Q, 27J etc.

Guido
07-27-2004, 09:13 AM
Hand 1: Yes my opponent seemed to raise a lot but I haven't seen any terrible hands. He raised hands like KTo, QJo, any ace those kind of hands.

Hand 2: He wasn't very aggressive but he would raise AKo preflop.

He would call a hand like 88 down, certainly not raise.

Hand 3: The SB was either going to check-raise his overpair or he had a AK or AQ.

Guido

schubes
07-27-2004, 09:14 AM
I think I wish the folds in Hands 1 and 2 were easy for me.

In Hand 1 I think I will usually fold, but as Peter pointed out this bet is sometimes a last attempt to win using the ace as a scare card. I know I have (right or wrong) bet out here with something like 99 before. But I'm not sure if calling it down catches enough bluffs to be profitable.

Hand 2 is a tricky situation, and this is one of the places where I will sometimes fold, and sometimes see the turn and go from there. I think this is a place where having a good read on how your opponent sees you, and remembering previous encounters is more important than any standard line. If you have been folding too much call, getting into the habit of folding here can be dangerous even against passive players IMO.

Not sure if I understand Hand 3. Do you think SB, as a good player, is planning a checkraise? This looks to me like he was just trying to build the pot in case he hits, and he didn't hit. For these odds, I think you should call and fold the turn if you don't get TP or a backdoor draw. (and yes there some small possibility your ace is good)

EDIT: just saw your post. Is trying to checkraise an overpair like this a play you've seen him make before? As a decent player he really has to be worried about this being checked through, right? Or can he always count on BB (who I think is who you meant to say was bad and tricky, not CO) always going to bet? This is why this hand confuses me.