PDA

View Full Version : AK - I don't play PL!

nothumb
07-27-2004, 02:47 AM
As the title indicates this is my second orbit ever in a Pot Limit Holdem game. (Party $25). We are down to six-handed and players seem to think it's a limit game. I may not know a damn thing, but I do know that you're supposed to be aggressive short-handed and that I get super aggressive when everyone else is playing like a wuss.

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP ($53.85)
Button ($19.25)
Hero ($29.15)
BB ($38.80)
UTG ($26.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $3</font>,50,5, MP folds, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($7.50) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $4</font>, Hero calls $4.

Turn: ($15.50) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $4</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $21.65 (All-In)</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: $41.15
<font color="green">Main Pot: $23.50, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $17.65, returned to Hero.</font>

So should I keep playing PL?

warlockjd
07-27-2004, 03:51 AM
Playing TPTK like the nuts will get you nothing but trouble in all except for the very softest NL games. The Party $25 game is soft, but i don't think it's THAT soft.

SpiderMnkE
07-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Please come to my table and push your stack with TPTK

turnipmonster
07-27-2004, 10:29 AM
so if your opponent has a J, he has about 5 outs on the turn. if your TPTK is good, raising is going to scare the hell out of him and he'll probably fold a hand that would pay you off or bet into you on the river. so I think flat calling here is a lot better than a raise, which will often only get called when you're beat.

also, playing overcards is quite dangerous if your opponents play paints for a raise (and in the $25 limit, they do) and reverse domination is a huge consideration. running into AJ and KJ are quite expensive.

there is a great section in super system where doyle brunson talks about playing AK.

--turnipmonster

cornell2005
07-27-2004, 11:39 AM
bet out or check fold the flop. check-calling is far inferior. even check raising is better than check calling in this situation. by betting out, you commit the same amount than by check calling, but get him to fold a good bit of the time. if you want a more in depth explanation into why check calling this flop is bad in this sort of game, let me know and i'll expand.

also, the c/r all in on the turn wasnt good. turnip explained the main reason why though. on the turn, calling is superior to pushing

GL

nothumb
07-27-2004, 03:18 PM
ok, thanks.

I can see generally how check-calling is weaker in a pot or no limit game than in a limit game.

I mostly posted this hand for giggles since, again, I don't play this game. I was having quite a bit of success but I think it's just that my maniacal play didn't catch up to me.