PDA

View Full Version : how do you read players who make no [censored] sense?

PITTM
07-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Party 20+2.
My stack: 1200
Other guy:1600

blinds are 50/100 I am dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif on the button, 3 limpers, i raise to 300. get one caller. flop is A K 10. I bet out 300, he raises to 600, i push, he shows KJo, gets runner runner jacks, im toast. how the [censored] can i read someone who is going to go all in with second high pair and catch that crap. ive been playing sngs for quite awhile now and my ROI has been great, today was just runner runner after runner runner, it absouletely kills me more than anything else. I know it is supposed to work out in the long run, but having all of your confidence sucked away by suckouts is probably going to offset my skill advantage over them. I am pretty discouraged.

rj

AtlBrvs4Life
07-26-2004, 11:18 PM
If you had a good read on this opponent, how would the hand have changed? You still would have put your money in as a 70% favorite and lost.

Tosh
07-27-2004, 12:20 AM
I'd start by not raising 3 limpers with a mediocre hand, and if I did it would be all in.

slogger
07-27-2004, 01:22 AM
Your question doesn't have anything to do with bad beats, but the hand you posted is just that. PITT, you've been around here for a while and generally have interesting things to say. You know better than to expect a whole lot of positive reinforcement in reply to a post like this.

Keep playing well. You know it will all work out.

adanthar
07-27-2004, 01:44 AM
The way I see it, it's not even that bad of a play by him other than PF. If you have anything other than a big ace, you have to autofold this flop to a CR, and if you do have a big ace he has at least 6 and probably 9 outs twice.

This is also why I'm not raising ATo PF after 3 limpers.

Zaebos
07-27-2004, 01:49 AM
but with a 3xbb raise wouldn't it be easy to put a guy on an ace?

PITTM
07-27-2004, 05:36 AM
the post was mostly just a vent of frustration. I did play it fairly poorly and i guess i paid for it, all is well and good.

rj

MikeGuz
07-27-2004, 05:47 AM
You could have been betting into the nutz.

So all you have is a bad beat story. My advice is play higher limits. I really consider these cheap online things >$20 a crap shoot. I like have a better record in higher buy in stts.

Thing is guys who make plays like this - and there are a lot of them - won't be around very long. I wonder how long these little weasels will be hanging around before they lose their asses and wreck their lives at a young age.

I have been playing poker successfully for 40 years have seen the "hot shots" come and go. There just happens to be a lot more hot shots around these days.

mackthefork
07-27-2004, 07:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thing is guys who make plays like this - and there are a lot of them - won't be around very long. I wonder how long these little weasels will be hanging around before they lose their asses and wreck their lives at a young age.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure they won't do that, lol. Like the other guy said it was only 70/30 and the other guy might have thought a J would do the job too, so whilst it's horrible, it isn't that horrible.

Regards ML

Jason Strasser
07-27-2004, 09:49 AM
Pittm,

What do you want to hear from us in terms of advice?

Seriously. Some of the posts here recently have made me want to puke, especially from someone who's been around for a while.

Do you want us to tell you to fold? I think your PF raise is a little fishy, as I never would raise a limper(s) with ATo with blinds that high (its a fold for me, maybe an all-in against some opponents), but really--the entire point of your post just proves that you don't understand how people can maintain solid ROIs playing sit and gos.

Not trying to be harsh or anything, I just don't get posts like this.

Tsushima
07-27-2004, 11:47 AM
The way I always look at situations like this is if I could see my opponents cards would I have done the same thing. If the answer if yes, then what else can you do but get your money in with the best hand?

Tsushima

fnurt
07-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Your error here was not a failure to read your opponent, your error was a failure to read the turn and river cards.

Do a search for "pattern map" and you shouldn't have this problem any more.

Tsushima
07-27-2004, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My advice is play higher limits. I really consider these cheap online things >$20 a crap shoot. I like have a better record in higher buy in stts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting you should say this. I play the 20s and 30s and although I suffer some horrible bad beats, I just accept them as the occasional (well, maybe not that occasional) downside of having players apparently eager to hand over their money.

A poker buddy of mine and I are fairly good at getting reads on players who play relatively sensibly but struggle reading some of the insane plays that happen on the 20s and 30s.

Would we be better playing higher limits where we have a better chance of making a read or should i just accept that the reason we do well at the 20s is that there are plenty of idiots around?

Tsushima

Jason Strasser
07-27-2004, 12:30 PM
<insert confused reply>

Do you want to play with sharks? Do you hate it when u have top 2 and someone goes all in with middle pair?

Gah...

PrayingMantis
07-27-2004, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My advice is play higher limits. I really consider these cheap online things >$20 a crap shoot. I like have a better record in higher buy in stts.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing poker successfully for 40 years

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I don't understand what you're saying here. And the fact that you're playing for 40 years makes it even more strange. The orignial poster made a questionable move PF, and then put his money in when he was close to 4:1 against his opponents. And you say it's a "crap shoot", and advice him to play higher limits, so he won't suffer these beats? Really, you must be joking. I can't believe this is your approach to the game after 40 years of succesfull playing. It took me about 2 weeks (and I'm sure many others too), to understand such opponents are EXACTLY why poker is such a good game for me, low or high limits.

Tosh
07-27-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<insert confused reply>

Do you want to play with sharks? Do you hate it when u have top 2 and someone goes all in with middle pair?

Gah...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I wonder why we keep trying.

Jason Strasser
07-27-2004, 01:33 PM
I'm getting really close to that point...

Seriously, come play the 200 sngs and tell us how you like playing seven to nine handed at 100/200 blinds regularly?

No, I'd actually much prefer that over the $10 sngs where you could easily be heads up at that level.

-Jason

CountDuckula
07-27-2004, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your error here was not a failure to read your opponent, your error was a failure to read the turn and river cards.

Do a search for "pattern map" and you shouldn't have this problem any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, no; not again!

-Bowl of Petunias