PDA

View Full Version : Laptop and Cell Phone Techie help!

OrangeHeat
07-26-2004, 08:44 PM
Anyone using a cell phone for internet acess while on the road?

I have a bluetooth capable PC and was looking at the motorola V600 phone which is also bluetooth capable. Anyone have experience with this phone and using the bluetooth connection?

Also anyone have better luck staying connected with GSM over CDMA or vise versa?

Any help is appreciated. My company makes the guts of the tower - but i have no experience with the handset side...

Thamks,

Orange

LeapingGnome
07-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Orange, who is your provider? It is specifically against Sprint TOS to use your cell phone on your computer.

As far as signal, Verizon has the best coverage across the country, but maybe not in your area.

OrangeHeat
07-26-2004, 09:29 PM
I have no provider yet. If i go Verizon it is CDMA network and if go At&t or cingular it is a GSM/GPRS network.

Anyone have experiences???

Orange

GoSox
07-26-2004, 09:45 PM
No expert here. I've found the GSM network to be better in the northeast, but I think it varies much more regionally. It's has less nodes, but those that exist are better. How much bandwidth do you think you can get on either to run an internet appl. ?? (i am assuming you're talking a full client and not wap)

OrangeHeat
07-26-2004, 09:52 PM
EDGE technology for GSM is supposed to go up to 300 mbp/s - sort of 2.75 gish. I think same goes for the cdma 1x platform.

Regular GSM/CDMA is supposed to be like dial up if that.

Orange

OrangeHeat
07-27-2004, 12:46 PM
^Bump - anybody on the day crew have any experience with CDMA over GSM?

Orange

LeapingGnome
07-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Like I mentioned, nationwide Verizon has the best coverage and they are a CDMA provider. GSM is cool because you can get a lot of neat "toys" features that you might or might not use. I personally don't really like some of the GSM phones, I think they cost too much and sacrifice the "phone" part of being a phone in favor of a bunch of other gimics. BUT, CDMA vs GSM is not really what you're looking for I think, I think you should concentrate on Provider vs Provider, that is where you will find the answers you want. A good forum for this stuff is http://www.howardforums.com/