PDA

View Full Version : What do you do here?

happybhoy
07-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Interested to see how people would play here and why.

The only reads I've got is

Button : Appears to be a strong player in the TAG mold.
SB : Made a lot of big bets pre-flop/flop, too many for them all to be legit
BB : Shown evidence of being a little weak.
UTG & CO : Not noticed anything particularly off-centre about these 2

Hero : I've limped into a few pots but only made 2 real moves, raised pot(4BB) reduces to heads up, checked rag flop and turn to river (King) go all-in with AA get called by KQ and going all-in the next hand with JJ called by AK but win when J drops on flop.

[FADE IN]

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed)

Button (t2595)
SB (t1585)
BB (t2015)
UTG (t955)
Hero (t2110)
CO (t740)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, Hero calls t150, CO calls t150, Button calls t150, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t750) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t150</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, CO folds, Button calls t300, SB folds, BB calls t150.

Turn: (t1650) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (t1650) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, over to you....

poboys
07-26-2004, 09:00 PM
A min-raise on the flop isn't going to scare anyone, nor give you much information about the BB. Button calls and the BB calls, now you should be scared.

So, I'd either make a strong bet at the flop, or I'd fold.

durron597
07-26-2004, 09:22 PM
Why are you playing KT for a limp? Either raise to try and take the blinds, or fold that crap preflop. You have no way to figure out where you are in the hand now, since you got no information preflop.

I would say that you should check, and fold when the button bets his AA that just rivered his third ace.

Jason Strasser
07-27-2004, 10:07 AM
No. No. No. No. No.

Bad.

KTo in EP is a fold. Fold fold fold fold fold fold fold fold.

Fold.

Fold.

Bad.

-Jason

naphand
07-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Fold this trash PF.

Given your play, I check behind on the River and hope BB was betting a flush draw, and not any J, T9, 78 or any A. I am happy to collect the chips the times my hand is good, and avoid any nasty raise on the River.

eastbay
07-27-2004, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Interested to see how people would play here and why.

The only reads I've got is

Button : Appears to be a strong player in the TAG mold.
SB : Made a lot of big bets pre-flop/flop, too many for them all to be legit
BB : Shown evidence of being a little weak.
UTG &amp; CO : Not noticed anything particularly off-centre about these 2

Hero : I've limped into a few pots but only made 2 real moves, raised pot(4BB) reduces to heads up, checked rag flop and turn to river (King) go all-in with AA get called by KQ and going all-in the next hand with JJ called by AK but win when J drops on flop.

[FADE IN]

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed)

Button (t2595)
SB (t1585)
BB (t2015)
UTG (t955)
Hero (t2110)
CO (t740)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, Hero calls t150

[/ QUOTE ]

Whaa?!

If you're going to play this, at least raise it up...

eastbay

Potowame
07-27-2004, 12:04 PM
As most others said , I would fold this preflop. Also this is a very dangerous flop, with two to the flush and three to the str8, and your raising with second pair second kicker and gut shot, wow. After the action on the flop I would be pretty sure I was behind one of the two callers, more than likley the button, since he called a bet, and raise(even though mini) on the flop. He wasn't going to call here with a hand that this flop didn't like, seeing how the BB has a chance to reraise. the only hand I see him calling with here that I would be ahead of is Q10, but there are way to many likley hands he has at this point to call a meduim bet or even bet yourself.
this may be a weak way of looking at this hand, but your holdings are so weak thats the only way I can see it played.

happybhoy
07-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Results

River: (t1650) A (3 players)
BB checks, <font color="red"> Hero bets t400 </font> , Button folds, BB folds.

Hmm, going by the responses being in this pot was a mistake from the start.

I'll put in my reasoning (flawed though it maybe).

Preflop - I've just doubled up twice in the previous hands and get the KT, an unspectacular hand even from late position but (admittedly, on a whim) decide to take it for a walk. I'd probably have lobbed it away to any sort of raise unless it was heads up when it came back round to me and it was a minimum raise from one of the weaker players.
I wouldn't play this usually but I was wanting to see a flop to see if I could build a bit of momentum and get a rush.

Flop - I've got about 3 more callers than I would like. But I've caught a bit of the flop and a draw, but I don't particularly like where I'm at. The BB raises and I min raise behind him. I wanted if possible to isolate the BB - I reckon there is a chance he has a made straight 78 or QK but with the flush draw I'd have expected with to make a stronger move to push out drawing hands. A min bet doesn't say to me that he's got it. My thinking on the min raise was for info from the rest of the pack and to indicate some strength to discourage the SB from trying to steal with a big raise (he's done this before). The Buttons call concerns me and I figure that thats me fininshed in this pot.

Turn.

Check, Check, Check - I can't see anyone with a hand checking here (with the exception of JT, J9), 3 handed with that flop only the full house could slow play here.

River.

SB Checks - I'm now convinced this guy has no confidence in his hand, I reckon I can raise to push him out but I'm not sure about the Button. I put in the 400 because it was enough to look like I had a made hand and was trying to pick up some extra chips with a small but not enough to cripple me (further) if it was called by a bigger hand.

Thoughts?

&lt;*Assumes crash position*&gt;

Jason Strasser
07-27-2004, 02:26 PM
I'll give you points for creativity and your thinking process, but I think in general this hand is just bad. It is bad, because of your preflop decision. Thinking like:

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't play this usually but I was wanting to see a flop to see if I could build a bit of momentum and get a rush.

[/ QUOTE ]

is, to be brutally honest, what amatures think. There is no rush. Sure you hit hot streaks or whatever, and you think your "on fire", but please, don't change your game. If you get AA AA KK QQ and destroy the table, that's a rush for me. Getting 69o and limping in when you personally know that you should be folding, then catching a straight is "rushing", and it is also stupid. Don't buy into this stuff.

Calling with KTo is the worst option. If you had said raise, I'd say, "Ok, decent play, but I think KTo is still a fold." The reason why it is decent, because any time you raise from any position, you have the chance to steal the blinds uncontested. Limping with KTo is bad. What do you want to do, hit top pair and lose your stack? Who wants to play the game knows as "guess my kicker"?

You'll run into KQ, KJ and AT enough to say "I hate party poker, its rigged."

Hope this helps,
-Jason

happybhoy
07-28-2004, 04:35 AM
CFTR,

I'll bare that in mind. I do tend to be guilty of an ever decreasing quality of starting hands when I have been running good. I'm aware of this on a tournament-by-tournament basis, although in my defense when I do recognise that I'm doing this, I take an evening off from poker to clear my head and re-adjust to a more textbook starting strategy - but this is definately costing me some dollars in the long run but I am learning to spot this earlier. I'm beginning to think that on a smaller scale, I might be guilty of this on a hand-to-hand basis. Again cheers for the reply.