PDA

View Full Version : Order of importance??

Smokey98
07-26-2004, 07:09 PM
I've order a few Hold 'em books. What order should I read these books in?

Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em by Lee Jones
Hold 'em Poker 21st Cen. Ed. by Sklansky & Malmuth
The Theory of Poker by Sklansky
Caro's Book of Poker Tells by Mike Caro
Doyle Brunson's Super System by Doyle Brunson

radar5
07-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Do you have no mind?
Can you not read other posts?
If I give u a dollar would you buy a clue or waste it betting on 7,2o?

bisonbison
07-26-2004, 10:03 PM
Do you have no mind?
Can you not read other posts?
If I give u a dollar would you buy a clue or waste it betting on 7,2o?

Way to trash talk, champ. Maybe you should calm down and let the adults handle this.

Smokey, how much hold'em have you played?

You should definitely add Ed Miller's Small Stakes Hold'em to the list.

radar5
07-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Hey...I'm in a bad mood and btw how many times has this been covered?

PITTM
07-26-2004, 10:50 PM
my god, a beginner asking for advice and getting chewed out on this forum? i cant believe it!

My list would be something like this.
-New Ed Miller book
-Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em by Lee Jones
-The Theory of Poker by Sklansky
-Hold 'em Poker 21st Cen. Ed. by Sklansky & Malmuth
-Doyle Brunson's Super System by Doyle Brunson
-Caro's Book of Poker Tells by Mike Caro
-writing on the wall of a toilet stall.
-phil hellmuths book

MrDannimal
07-26-2004, 11:02 PM
I'd swap Jones and Miller. Not that Jones is a better book (it's not), but it's more accessible to a beginner.

bisonbison
07-26-2004, 11:07 PM

Sometimes, you eat the barr... Sometimes, the barr eats you...

Mayhap
07-26-2004, 11:25 PM
Gosh Darn,
This poker thing is turning us into bountious, bulging, bloated bibliophiles!
I'm five months into poker and just got SSHE by Ed Miller et al.
Of all the books I've seen, I would promote this one to #1 on my list.
It's VERY thorough.
/M

Greg J
07-26-2004, 11:25 PM
For future reference: this is probably better suited to the beginner's forum. No hate though, and no harm done, just FYI /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Welcome to the boards
Greg

Smokey98
07-27-2004, 12:11 AM
PITTM, is that the order that you recommend or "your" list?

jacki
07-27-2004, 01:27 AM
I'd read Theory of Poker first.
It's got a lot of stuff you won't care about, like Razz and Lowball, etc., but it really lays the foundation for understanding ideas in other books.

I'd put Small Stakes Hold'em next.

Billman
07-27-2004, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd swap Jones and Miller. Not that Jones is a better book (it's not), but it's more accessible to a beginner.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be my call as well but mostly because I don't think Miller's book is aimed at beginners. Heck the first sentence in the intro is "This is not a beginners' book." I think Lee's book teaches you how to place weak/tight which is probably a good thing for beginners. Once you've mastered that and can start showing a small profit, it's time to graduate to Miller's book to learn how to totally crush the low limits.

Sarge85
07-27-2004, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've order a few Hold 'em books. What order should I read these books in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em by Lee Jones - 1st
Play a month or so using these recomendations- Very much ABC poker

The Theory of Poker - 2nd
It's not Holdem specific, but you'll learn WHY you are doing the plays the books all talk about.
Keep playing for a month or so - Keep in mind the chapters on Raising, The Free Card, Semi-Bluffing, All the chapters on Odds (the whole book is important, but those chapters come to mind immediately)

Small Stakes Hold'em - 3rd
Incorporate the 2 books above, and refine your post flop play with this book -
Keep playing....

(Make sure you download poker tracker - keep loading hand histories - don't worry about the stats until you have 10K hands at least...)

Hold 'em Poker 21st Cen. Ed. by Sklansky & Malmuth4th
As you move into "bigger" and "tougher" games this book becomes more and more important....

Hold'em Poker - Gary Carson - 5th -

Just another perspective - SSHE actually references this book a few times

Caro's Book of Poker Tells by Mike Caro
Doyle Brunson's Super System by Doyle Brunson

I have read those books so I can't comment....

I got alot out of:
Inside the Poker Mind as well....
I'd add that as "supplemental" reading to all the books above. Insert it probably after your 2nd or third book. Again it is not Hold'em specific, but you should get some information out of it.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

oddjob
07-27-2004, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why the hell do you care? why don't you just not read the post, and it will never affect you, in any way.

Smokey98
07-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Excellent....thanks Sarge85.

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-27-2004, 12:10 PM
I'll echo others, Beginners forum is a better place for this, but...

Read Jones first. It is far inferior to Miller, but the newbie will understand it and Miller is NOT a beginner's book. Once you have read and understand Jones, just play for a while. Read Theory to help learn some concepts you are probably weak on. Assuming you win (or lose little) and are comfortable with the basics of the game, then read Miller. WHen done, re-read it several times.

HPFAP is for when you are ready to move beyond small stakes, but has many concepts that will help even the low limit player. I made the mistake of reading it first and was totally mystified. It is also not a beginner's book.

Billman
07-28-2004, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em by Lee Jones - 1st
Play a month or so using these recomendations- Very much ABC poker

. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always wondered why there isn't a poker school. Yes, I know, there's some website that calls itself a poker school but I mean, a real school.

Week 1: Fundamentals.

Week 2: Basic Play

etc.

I once saw Caro talk about some program he had where he would give the player an assignment after each lesson. I think it was something along the lines of, spot at least one tell in a opponent or attempt to bluff X number of hands on the river.

Something like that is goal oriented but isn't focused on the money or the limits so many other players seem to be focused on. Instead, the goal is to LEARN something and be able to apply it in real world situations.

I just try to think about if I had to learn about software engineering by reading a whole textbook on a programming language without ever writing any code and then go out and claim I understood the language. Of course I don't but I read the book. Once I started writing code I would need to go back and read the book again and then I would notice a bunch of concepts that made no sense when I first read them. I might do some more programming and refer back to the original book and notice even more concepts that seem to make perfect sense now . . . gee, doesn't that sound a lot like 90% of the people who describe how they progressed as a poker player? /images/graemlins/grin.gif