PDA

View Full Version : Comments Please

Chris Daddy Cool
07-26-2004, 05:20 PM
NL hand I played this weekend. 2/3 blinds.

I have about $140. UTG has about $130 and button has about $200. I'm interested in the play of my hand and my friend's hand ("The Diamond" from my other post). My friend has everybody well covered with $700.

2 limpers to the button who's an ubber-maniac trickster who makes it 10 to go. My friend is in the SB with QQ and makes it 20. (His raises have been getting too much respect because of his super tight image so hence, the small re-raise.) I call in the BB with 88. UTG, a pretty bad player calls. (This means he has 2 cards.) The other limper calls and the button calls.

Flop: 2 4 7 r

SB checks his QQ. I bet $45 and am called by both UTG and the button. SB agonizes and says "There's no way my hand can be good." and folds. In the back of my mind I suddenly start thinking the same thing.

Turn: 3 completing the rainbow.

What's my action here? Anyhoo, I check as UTG is commenting how he has a good piece of this and button looking confident in this hand as well. UTG then thinks for a bit and bets $45 and is immediately called by the button. I think and think and think and fold.

What mistakes do you see by me and my friend in this hand?

SlyAK
07-26-2004, 06:01 PM
A couple thoughts on your play.... why did you call PF??? You are calling about 14% of your stack with a medium pair, and only have about a 12% chance of making a set. I dont like the call at all, especially considering SB's tight image, I would expect him to have a PP TT-AA or AK.

Given that you did call, I would check-fold the flop.

SB probably should have pushed on the flop imo... and probably should have raised more PF, maybe to $30 or so. I know he wants action with his queens but the min-raise is weak.

Sly

Richie Rich
07-26-2004, 06:33 PM
(1) Your PF call was horrible, since you weren't getting correct odds to hit your set, &
(2) Your friend played his QQ much too passively...a bigger bet before the flop was almost mandatory, but a strong bet on the flop was a necessity.

Chris Daddy Cool
07-26-2004, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are calling about 14% of your stack with a medium pair, and only have about a 12% chance of making a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. I thought that if SB has a big pair and I hit a set I'd be able to get my money in and maybe UTG or button's money too.

umdpoker
07-26-2004, 11:25 PM
was your friend going for a check-raise, and then pussed out when the pot was so big when it came back to him that he couldn't really raise it without going allin? i just can't think of another reason why he did this. i agree with the others that he should have raised more preflop. i also think that he should push allin when it comes back to him. is this too aggressive?