PDA

View Full Version : Trips with bad kicker

Ric
07-26-2004, 04:21 PM
I was requested by El Diablo to repost this here (it was in the other NL forum but not moved here), so here you go:

Do you lay down trips on a non-threatining board ever? Here's an example:

.5/1 NL game 9 handed, you have 99 and everyone else involved has you covered. You just sat down so no specific reads on anyone, but it seems like a pretty good game.

4 limp, you complete in SB with A8s, BB checks. 6 to the flop and 6 in the pot.

Flop: AAK rainbow.

You bet 5, EP calls, MP calls, button calls. 26 in the pot

Turn: 6 completing the rainbow.

You bet 20, EP calls, MP calls, button raises to 58.

Call, push, fold? It seems obvious that the button has an A (or is bluffing), but will my kicker hold up enough? It seems like a sticky situation.

Also, what would you do if you had a better kicker, like AT or AJ?

Thanks for any help.

Richie Rich
07-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Things to consider...
(1) the importance of position, and how you should play a good (not "great") hand from EP;
(2) the difference between AK vs. AQ, AQ vs. AJ/AT, & AJ/AT vs. A-x;
(3) the value of a check-raise
(4) how to bet in order to extract information from your opponents

Leo Bello
07-27-2004, 08:36 PM
The only way to asses your position is 3 betting. You can also give up on the hand, it is cheaper anyway, but then lose the chance to know more about your opponent. Depending on how much does it cost, it would be clever, to check, intending to raise. Instead of being raised yourself.
Poker is about all information you can get.
The better your kicker, more chance to stay in the hand. Like you said, A8 is a limping hand and should be played with caution. So, checking this flop, not a bad idea. someone might try a steal, but then you could raise to see if it is for real.

Ric
07-28-2004, 01:22 AM
This is no limit, not limit. Any sizeable raise I could do is all in, if that's what you mean.

Anyway, I pushed, EP and MP folded, and button called. River was a blank and he showed A9. Fun stuff.