PDA

View Full Version : When to slow play?

The Armchair
07-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Can someone post examples? I thought I had it, now I don't.

bisonbison
07-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Do you own HEPFAP, TOP or SSHE? Cause they spell it out.

My advice: if you never slow play in small stakes poker, you will make more money in the long run.

sthief09
07-26-2004, 04:15 PM
1. small pot, where you care more about winning extra bets than winning the pot itself
2. straight-uncoordinated board (K72 is the quintessential slowplaying board)
3. you are unlikely to lose, especially to a hand that would
4. you'll get more $ by slowplaying than playing it fast (this would seem to be obvious, but there are a lot of instances where playing the flop fast makes more money. checking the flop through with 22 on a K72 board against extremely loose opponents is pointless because they'll call you anyway)

#4 is the reason why bisonbison said that if you never slowplay it won't hurt you. so often, you'll make more money by just betting than checking.

The Armchair
07-26-2004, 07:41 PM
My copy of HEPFAP is so tattered that I'll need a new soon, as is my copy of WLLH. I'm going to get SSH when it is at the B&N nearby.

I'm just finding that I'm rarely ever slowplaying, even when I think I should. Example: .50/1 home game, I have 88, flop is 854 rainbow with two callers. I had preflop raised, but I bet and 3-bet the flop, even though it was heads-up at that point. I took it down right there. I'm pretty sure that he was on a stone-cold (A-high) bluff, but in that case, wouldn't he have paid me off on later streets?

Maybe I'm overreacting and this cost me no more than .5 BB.

nepenthe
07-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Actually I wouldn't be too comfortable with a coordinated board like 854. If someone has a 6 or 7, and never underestimate the power of Party players to play junk like Q7o, you want to make them pay through their nose while you have additional outs to a FH. You played fine.