PDA

View Full Version : pair + flush draw

schwza
07-26-2004, 03:17 PM
i knew that i had enough outs that getting all-in on the flop would be good. but i thought pushing would be too much of an overbet (and would only be called by a set) and i didn't want to wind up committing a big chunk of my stack if i'd have to fold on the river if i missed. any help/thoughts appreciated...

no reads on the villain.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($36.05)
SB ($47.70)
BB ($70.20)
UTG ($59.75)
Hero ($69.55)
CO ($21.85)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $1, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls $4.

Flop: ($11.50) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($21.50) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

River: ($41.50) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $51.50
<font color="green">Main Pot: $41.50, won by UTG.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $10, returned to UTG.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG doesn't show.
Outcome: UTG wins $51.50. </font>

Chazbot2000
07-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Three mistakes:

1) Why did you raise preflop? You've got a drawing hand, not a dominating hand. You want lots of limpers to build the pot if your flush or straight draw comes off.

2) Why didn't you raise on the flop? You've got position on your guy. A raise tells you how strong your opponent is. It also increases the chance that he checks to you on the turn. A $5 raise on the flop could let you see the turn and the river for free versus paying $10 like you did. It also disguises your flush if it winds up hitting.

3) Your opponent is betting like a sissy. He's betting less than 1/2 the pot each time. If he's tricky, he's doing that to induce a bluff (you could have determined that with a raise on the flop). If he's a standard low NL player, he doesn't have a hand or he wants to draw. Either way a big raise by you can get him to fold.

SkippingGoat
07-26-2004, 10:10 PM
I think the preflop raise is fine if you're trying to mix it up. I'd raise on the flop to represent AK and hopefully take the pot there. If you don't, you probably get to see the next two cards free and UTG will be less scared if another club hits. You played that hand like a draw so you'll probably only get paid if you hit two pair.

ML4L
07-27-2004, 01:37 AM
Hey schwza,

I'd raise at some point. Probably the flop. I know that the stack sizes aren't ideal for it, but your hand is huge and your opponent might lay down to a big raise anyway (did this look like a "feeler" bet?).

But, he gave you great odds to draw on both streets, so that ain't bad either...

ML4L

TStoneMBD
07-27-2004, 03:18 AM
i dont see the point of raising preflop with a suited connector for online small stakes. i dont think there is a person in the world paying attention to what youre doing anyway as everyone is multitabling it and bad players dont watch regardless

schwza
07-27-2004, 09:52 AM
yeah, the preflop raise may not have been ideal. i've been having a lot of success raising before the flop and then picking up the pot on any flop that's not too coordinated. in better position, i would still like the play, but with the CO and button still to act, it's dicey.

i like the suggestion of the flop raise. when i was playing the hand, i was thinking "oh, but i wouldn't want to see a reraise at all." in retrospect though, if i were reraised i could just move in, and it wouldn't be a disaster.

one reason i don't like the flat call on the flop is that he could have a set or a bigger flush draw. in that case i might hit and lose my whole stack (while the flush draw wouldn't even pay me off if i hit two pair or trips, and it would also be able to pick up the pot if it bet the river).

thanks for the feedback, next time i'll raise the flop.

vulturesrow
07-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Here is another reason I like the flop raise. It is harder for your opponent to put you on a flush when it does hit..if you just call and then raise when the flush card hits, even the fishiest of fish is going to notice.