PDA

View Full Version : How Tough Is The Competition Will I Expect In......

ZAC
07-26-2004, 02:59 PM
.....the Million $ guranteed at Party?

I still consider myself a newbie in the tournament scene having played for only about 2 months. I have a modest record of winning/cashing-in in a few 90-120 players, SNGs, 3-tables, and in-the-money (twice but near the bottom of the barrel) in 700+ entry tourneys at PP. But these are mostly LL of the 10, 20 and 30 bucks variety. Then I became curious and joined a 20+2 satellite for the 7/31 million gurantee and voila! Inspite of being short-stacked up to and including the final table with 110+ entries, I placed 2nd and qualified. (Thanks, to Davidross' inspiring post about "patience, patience...")

It is probable that a majority of the players will be satellite winners and some heavily bank-rolled ones coughing up the $640 entry fee. Surely, the internet sharks with higher limit experiences and wins will be plying these waters. Posters in these forums are no exceptions, btw. (I'm sure some of you seasoned winners will be there). /images/graemlins/wink.gif

With this in mind, how will the competition be at least on the first hour? Will it be just like a typical MTT where about 50% of the entrants have fallen on the wayside by the first break or will be it be a much tougher one? Of course, Moneymaker is my inspiration on this one /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Any opinions from the likes of Tosh, strassa2, la bruhita, che, emarkM, and the numerous others whose thought-provoking posts have tremendously helped my game?

Tosh
07-26-2004, 03:05 PM
I have personally refused to play in this until they got rid of the rule that people who had played more raked hands got extra chips. Which I now believe they have (?). As I haven't played in I couldn't tell you exactly how good (or more likely) how bad the play is, but from the hands people have posted it doesn't seem any great amount better than any other Party event till the later stages.

Best of luck in it.

Che
07-26-2004, 03:14 PM
I played in this once and the play during the first hour was pretty much the same as it is during the first hour of the Super xxxday tourneys and the Sat $200K. That was several months ago, though, and is based on only one table of one tourney...so don't put much value in it.

BTW first hour play in the tourneys I mentioned above is better than the $33 MTT's by a ways (for the most part) so expect to have to pick it up a couple of gears.

As for the extra chips: if they still give extra chips for raked hands, I recommend not playing unless you'll be getting at least 1500 chips to start. I wouldn't play again unless I started with at least 1800.

Anyone know if they have indeed changed that rule? Guess I'll have to lurk a little on Saturday and find out.

Of course, Party might not let you unregister after winning a satellite (I have no clue). If that's the case, forget everything I said and roll the dice! Worst case is that you get some good experience.

Good luck!
Che

Tosh
07-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Info. here. (http://www.partypoker.com/news/index.html)

It looks like you start with 1500 chips, I'd much prefer 2.5k +, but I guess its better than 1000. Also upped the maximum entrants to 2500.

woodguy
07-26-2004, 04:41 PM
After getting the shaft on the re-start of the past Million Guaranteed, I sent Party an email, and in their response they mentioned that all players will now get 1500 chips to start.
Guess will have to wait until Saturday to see if its true.

They will still give extra chips for the PP Million (cruise tourney), but not the Million Guraranteed.

Party will also NOT refund a seat won in a satalite, so you gotta play.

regards,
woodguy

Che
07-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Glad I saw this thread since I wasn't aware of the change.

If they don't change the rules again, I believe I'll become a regular in this since I like playing an occasional "big" online tourney, but Sunday afternoons are generally bad for me. It'll be nice to play for a big prize without turning my life upside down rearranging my schedule (but I did make the effort for Aug. 1 and 8 /images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Later,
Che

woodguy
07-26-2004, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party will also NOT refund a seat won in a satalite, so you gotta play

[/ QUOTE ]

They will not refund 1 seat.

If you win multiple seats, you will get $$$ for them once the tourney is over (I think, that's how they work it)

regards,
woodguy