PDA

View Full Version : Is Absolute Poker worth doing the $210 bonus for a new player?

djcolts
07-26-2004, 02:23 PM
I've searched some of the archives - but I wanted to put it into a bottom line question. I mostly play .5/1 Limit HE games - but can play 1/2 sometimes.

I'm currently working on the Stars reload bonus - and I have accounts at Empire, Party and Pacific as well. I have just over $650 in my Neteller account that can be used to deposit into a new place for bonus purposes.

Thanks in advance.

Uston
07-26-2004, 02:34 PM
It depends of whether or not you multitable. If you do, then you'll be disappointed with Absolute, as they often have only one full table for each limit. If you don't multitable then it's definitely worth doing. The games are good and you won't find a site with more frequent reload bonuses.

bdk3clash
07-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I'd say it's worth it. The software kind of sucks, and it's rare for them to have more than 1 1/2 game going, but you can play $0.50/1 (most hands hit the $0.25 rake requirement), and you can do 3 tables at a time.

I've been clearing that bonus at a rate of about $10-$15 per hour, so opportunity-cost wise it's worth if for a $1/2 or $0.50/1 player.

Oski
07-26-2004, 02:35 PM
I have to disagree with you when it comes to the .50/1 and 1/2 limits.

Most of the time, there are multiple games going; often 3, or more at those respective limits.

djcolts
07-26-2004, 02:41 PM
I've done a little multi-tabling - but it was one table at two different sites.

Based on the responses so far - it sounds like something worth doing for me.

blackhand
07-26-2004, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've done a little multi-tabling - but it was one table at two different sites.

Based on the responses so far - it sounds like something worth doing for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea man, the first time deposit bonuses + frequent reload bonuses make it a pretty attractive site to play at. However, I'd highly suggest just downloading and playing around with the software a bit to make sure it's a place you won't mind playing for a while, as it's going to take some time to clear those bonuses.

Uston
07-26-2004, 03:11 PM
That's good to hear. From April to September I only get to play from noon to 6PM (east coast). During those hours, it's rare to see two full nine-handed games at the same limit, which is probably the reason I still have $800 in my bonus account.

djcolts
07-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah - but if Pacific doesn't bother me that much (the terrible players more than makes up for the lousy software) - then Absolute can't be any worse software wise, can it?

blackhand
07-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Nah man, Pacific's software is garbage even compared to Absolute, and the connectivity issues at Pacific drove me apeshit. As far as the quality of play at Absolute, it's probably a bit stronger than at Pacific, especially as you get into the 'higher' limits ($2/$4 +)

Oski
07-26-2004, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's good to hear. From April to September I only get to play from noon to 6PM (east coast). During those hours, it's rare to see two full nine-handed games at the same limit, which is probably the reason I still have $800 in my bonus account.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what? I should have prefaced my comments. I don't play during those hours, and I have heard the site falls off during the morning/afternoon EST hours. However, (and especially during the week) the traffic spikes in the early evening and remains strong until 11:30 p.m. PST.

djcolts
07-26-2004, 03:22 PM
Well - I'd expect the play at any site to be better than Pacific's. From my limited experience, they have the worst players as a whole that I've ever seen.

My biggest concern about Absolute's software was that it was a "resource hog." How bad is that?

Oski
07-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Re: resource hogging software. It seems Absolute constantly tinkers with/upgrades its software. For about a month, I was running 3 tables there with no probs whatsoever (I had lag issues before that). However, about one week ago, a new upgrade seems to have brought back some of the lag.

I still run 3 tables while have many other apps. open (including a TV monitor) and I get by with a little lag ... which evidences itself mostly on the TV.

Overall, the lag has improved from prior to June, but in the last week, has taken a small step back.

goodguy_1
07-26-2004, 03:35 PM
After making multiple deposits and racking up $900 in pending bonuses.I have decided that playing ring games at Absolute is NOT worth my time as I originally thought.

I was seduced by their promo /bonus blitz but it just isnt worth it...the games selection is poor and those games that do go have poor pot averages.

The best value at Absolute is the money-added MTT's.
IF the ring games get decent pot averages I may pop back in and burn off my bonus balance...

dink
07-27-2004, 04:08 AM
I just downloaded and deposited at absolute, after much humming and haring about whether to try them out, I opened an a/c there last year I just never funded it.

I must say

I love absolute, the games seem much softer than many other places, and there are bonuses aplenty, cashouts are very quick and the place is full of fish.

Sure there may not be a huge game selection, but on Sat (Fri night US time) and Sun (sat night US time) there were about five 1/2 tables going and I found it easy to multi table three at a time.

I was going to post saying how much I love absolute, and that I can't believe I didn't play there earlier, but now I don't have too.

My one question is, what can you do with your absolute poker points? there is something about merchandise on there site, but it says comming soon. Anyone have any info?

cheers
Dink

PS I am not a shill for absolute, although I would like a hat

djcolts
07-27-2004, 09:06 AM
I haven't played shorthanded games very much, and the one time I tried to do it I was terrible. That is the one fear I have left - the software looked OK - but I wonder if there will be enough 8 to 9 handed games at .5/1 and 1/2.

dink
07-27-2004, 09:38 AM
if you choose the right times, there will be

load it and they will come