PDA

View Full Version : I wasn't going to post this but

JimRivett
07-26-2004, 01:54 PM
what the heck, when you're hot, you're hot.

I decide, with my wife's permission, to play some cards on Saturday afternoon. I arrive at the Bike around 2 p.m. and get seated in a 6/12 game.

I post behind the button and am dealt J 6 off suit. The action gets to me and I tap the table, the blinds call and we see a flop of 3 6 Q, it gets checked to me and I bet, there are a couple of callers. The turn is another Q, it gets checked to me and I bet again, and they all fold. Not a bad start!

Before the next hand is dealt we have a dealer change, dealer changes occur every 40 minutes at the Bike. The new dealer sits down and immediately there is some confusion over where the button should be. Eventually the position of the button is correctly determined to be with seat 4. I am in seat 2 (ASQ is in seat 6 and will be the big blind).

The dealer deals the cards.

I study the action, folded to the 8 seat who calls, seat 9 calls, seat 1 raises. I look down to be greeted by red kings, I re-raise. Folded to the 8 seat, who, and this is where it gets interesting, says 3 bets. He doesn't realize that I have 3 bet it, and what he should have said is raise or cap. While seat 8 is grinning with 3 small bets in front of him, the dealer informs him that I 3 bet and immediately seat 8 says he meant to raise and tries to put in another small bet. Seat 9 and 1 object because the raise would, correctly, constitute a "string raise". I inform the dealer that I am not objecting, this bring a smile to ASQ's face. The dealer informs seat 8 that based upon the his action he cannot raise and the pre-flop action stays at 3 small bets.

The flop comes K, rag , rag with 2 clubs.

Seat 8 bets, seats 9 and 1 call, and I raise, all call.

The turn is the remaining King. I cease to be concerned about suits or what my other opponents may have.

The action is checked to me, I bet, seat 8 calls, seats 9 and 1 fold.

The river is an Ace, and seat 8 comes out betting. I raise, he ------- we go 8 big bets on the river before seat 8 looks at me and says "Maybe I'm not going to win this hand!" and calls. I put him on AA when he kept raising past four big bets.

For those not following the action I have beat Aces full of Kings with Four Kings, this constitutes a bad beat jackpot! The amount of the jackpot is $35,000, with the losing hand receiving 50% ($17,500), the winning hand (me!) receiving 25% ($8,750) and the remaining 25% being spread out among the players dealt in the hand, it was a full table so 7 of them shared $8,750 - $1,250 each. Of course everyone was happy and the celebrating lasted 10 minutes or so.

Some interesting things,

This was only the second hand of the session that I played! and the first hand of the dealers down!

I "cracked" the jackpot (that's what it's called when you have the winning hand, you're said to have "hit" the jackpot when you have the losing hand!) in April. The jackpot at the Bike has been $35,000 for very long time, if it gets hit, the jackpot stays at $35,000. I'll let Rick explain that one.

During the past week I have seen pocket aces go up against pocket Kings six times! including this hand. In fact earlier in the week my unimproved KK lost to an unimproved AA. I'll let the math guys explain that one.

I'll pay for the next lunch/dinner with Andy, there will be no need to explain why.

Sankehead has at least three investment schemes for my winnings. I'll let Snakehead explain.

On Saturday eveing while explaining to my wife, who understands little or nothing about poker/jackpots etc, I was saying that I won $8750 and the other player recieved $17500. She said, "You got $8750 last time", I said "Yes", she said, "When are you going to win the $17500!". I don't think anyone any can explain that!

Jim

andyfox
07-26-2004, 02:11 PM
"I'll pay for the next lunch/dinner with Andy, there will be no need to explain why."

Because I didn't win the jackpot?