PDA

View Full Version : how was my thinking, and play?

fireman664
07-26-2004, 01:44 PM
party $100 6max table.
button (hero) $230
UTG (bad fish) $100
UTG+1 (solid player) $150

I am dealt A K . UTG raises to $6, UTG+1 re-raises to $20. I call (?? wanted fish to call too) UTG calls.
(my thinking here is, fish could have anything, solid guy usually would have JJ-AA or AK to bet like this, but could be betting with even weaker to isolate the fish)

flop comes A 7 2 rainbow (7 ). UTG bets $45 (??), UTG+1 folds (perfect)....I think, then put the fish all in for $35 more, he calls. turn is 4, river is 5.
How did I do? I got the flop I wanted with this hand against the fish, so I feel this is the time to push. Should I have laid this hand down preflop, or reraised preflop, or was my cold call for 10x's the BB a good play (with position) to encourage the fish to call. results will come later since I am more concerned with my play (and thinking) rather than the outcome.
thanks

Ulysses
07-26-2004, 01:51 PM
You lost your suits when you reposted this. Both of your cards were hearts, and so was one on the flop.

Since UTG only has $35 left, I might just call on the flop. If he doesn't have anything, let him bluff again rather than give him any chance to fold.

Pre-flop, if you think UTG+1 is mroe likely to be isolating, I'd probably reraise rather than let them both see the flop. If he is more likely to have a real hand, call and see a 3-way flop. AKs is a very nice hand to play either way in this spot.

Leo Bello
07-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Well. From the beggining. AK in no-limit is not a so good hand to call 10% of your stack. Principally in a re-raised pot, BUT this is theory, and it seems u had a pretty solid read on the table. But wait, you were talking about the fish, but this UTG+1 guy would re-raise only to isolate the fish? Did he make this before? Answer is yes. A good call although risky.
In the flop your worries dissipated about the UTG+1, who folded wihtout the need for pressure from you.
U made top pair, is this enough? I would want to believe, but at this time you only have two options. Put him all-in or fold yourself. So, I guess your push was ok.
What were the results anyway?