PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to the rake

DeepCroak
07-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Apologies if this has already been addressed, but I've not seen it in the week or two I've been lurking here.

I've played 3/6 in two B&M cardrooms - the Mirage in Vegas, and a hometown California cardroom (Bay 101). I'm trying to figure out why I'm a winner at the Mirage (1.7 BB/hr over 30+ hours my last trip), but not at home. One difference is the rake - the Mirage takes $1 when the pot hits $10, $20, $40, and $60, while at home the button makes a $3 blind bet that goes to the house. (My loss rate at home over my last few sessions averages about 3 SB/hr, which is about what I figure I'm paying in rake).

What kinds of adjustments (if any) should be made to these different rakes? Or should I just admit to myself that the Bay 101 is tougher, and I need to play better? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Haupt_234
07-26-2004, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to figure out why I'm a winner at the Mirage (1.7 BB/hr over 30+ hours my last trip), but not at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sample size is miniscule. You shouldn't be very concerned about these short term results, as they are too small to base anything on.

Haupt_234

DeepCroak
07-26-2004, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Your sample size is miniscule. You shouldn't be very concerned about these short term results, as they are too small to base anything on.

Haupt_234

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my sample size is larger than just 30 hours - more like 70 hours at the Mirage and over 100 hours locally. (and that doesn't include the weekly home game I play in with coworkers). Admittedly not a huge individual sample size, but the *relative* performance between the two locations is what's interesting to me, especially since it duplicates the relative performance of others that I know.

In any case, irrespective of my individual performance, I'm curious what kinds of adjustments people here would make to the different rake structures? Or is everyone here killing their games so much that the rake is insignificant compared to statistical variance? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sfer
07-26-2004, 02:26 PM
It might be the rake, but even at 70-100 hours--that's like 2000-3000 hands at each location--is still an underwhelmingly small sample size. You can have very little confidence around the accuracy of either of your win-rates, and comparing both, assuming that their individual deviations from your "true" win-rates are uncorrelated, is pretty futile. Really you're comparing 1.7 BB/hr, give or take 1-1.5 BBs, to something near 0 BB/hr, give or take 1 to 1.5 BBs. They're indistiguishable with so few hands.

DeepCroak
07-26-2004, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It might be the rake, but even at 70-100 hours--that's like 2000-3000 hands at each location--is still an underwhelmingly small sample size. You can have very little confidence around the accuracy of either of your win-rates, and comparing both, assuming that their individual deviations from your "true" win-rates are uncorrelated, is pretty futile. Really you're comparing 1.7 BB/hr, give or take 1-1.5 BBs, to something near 0 BB/hr, give or take 1 to 1.5 BBs. They're indistiguishable with so few hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you look at post-rake results, I think we're really comparing +1.7 BB/hr (+/-1.5) to -1.5 BB/hr (+/-1.5), so maybe we're getting close to statistically significant.

But in any case, I fear that mentioning my individual experience (which I included merely for context, so that people would understand the motivation behind the question) is distracting from the real question. So please pay no attention to how I play, and let me rephrase the question:

Assume that you have two games available to you with the described rake structures. How should one change their game (if at all) based on whether they are playing in one structure or the other?

I've given some thought to it, but don't really know if I'm going down the right track.

For example:

In the button rake structure, when you get a cold run of cards, you're paying $7/orbit instead of $4. Does that change anything?

In the button-rake structure, an unraised pot has two players potentially seeing the flop for free, rather than one. Does that influence your pre-flop play? If no-one raises, how does the fact you have two players with anything change post flop play?

I'm guessing that any effects disappear by the time you get to the turn, but maybe not?

Thanks.