PDA

View Full Version : Slowplaying

Meatmaw
07-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi,

Generally, it seems to me that the general opinion is that slowplaying is incorrect except in pretty extreme cases. If that's the case, then does the term "slowplaying" encompass not only checking all the way to the river but also simply check-raising on the flop?

I've been thinking about my play when I hit a set or a high 2 pair, where I pretty much look out mostly for flush and straight draws. I encounter cases where:

1) I bet the pot and no one calls

2) I bet the pot and someone calls and reraises always with the str/flush when I call them on it (and naturally no idea what they have when I don't call down).

I can't remember the last time someone incorrectly called, and then folded or stupidly showed down nothing. Lately, I've been experimenting somewhat successfully with checking and making plays off of what I read them on and what I think they read from my check. It seems like it's almost automatic for people on the $11 Stars SNGs to assume weakness when someone checks in front. This includes calling with AK in early levels.

In any case, I was wondering if doing such things (as not jumping in with pot-sized bets and deciding to back off if I feel someone hits a draw) was simply a death trap or a waste of profit. It seems to be what Cloutier suggests in the McEvoy/Cloutier book (for the early levels).

Thanks. /images/graemlins/club.gif