PDA

View Full Version : 76 from the BB, slowplay this?

RustyCJ
07-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Hero ($44.70)</font>
UTG ($17.55)
UTG+1 ($24.25)
UTG+2 ($29.40)
MP1 ($38.03)
MP2 ($26.30)
MP3 ($25)
CO ($50.57)
Button ($59.43)
<font color="C00000">SB ($7)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks,

Flop: ($1.50) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls $2.

Turn: ($9.50) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $2.5 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $2.50.

River: ($14.50) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $14.50
<font color="green">Main Pot: $14.50, between Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($14.50).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Js 8d (three of a kind, eights).
Hero shows 7h 6c (straight, eight high).
Outcome: Hero wins $14.50. </font>

Mr_Peanut_
07-26-2004, 12:48 PM
The only reason to slow play this would be to keep MP3 in the pot. I dont think a raise that small would keep out a flush drawer either. So since you have the SB commited to the pot I think a slow play would only possibly bring in a flush drawer.

Leo Bello
07-27-2004, 03:30 PM
You played right. Do not slowplay in situations like this. The best here is to fire your bets. One of the reasons being, you donīt want someone outdrawing you with a flush.

cornell2005
07-27-2004, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best here is to fire your bets. One of the reasons being, you donīt want someone outdrawing you with a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think your recommendation is correct, but that last statement is a bit off. you arnt making a flush drawer fold here with a raise, so if someone has 2 diamonds, and another one falls on the turn, you are still losing the pot.

my reasons go more like this: the chances that a call invites the mp3 behind you to continue with the hand compared to a raise is slim. hence, the advantages of calling are slim here, as you really need the caller behind to 1. play strangely by calling the flop but folding to a raise and 2. hit a card on the turn that will pay you off, like a K. To expand on the first point, can you think of many hands here that would call if you flat call but fold if you raise? Given the texture of the board, I cant think of many. To expand on the second point, the chances that he turns a card that will keep him in the hand longer is slim, as he has to has to have a high card, and that card has to fall. Last, since the small stack is getting in no matter what, calling has no advantages vs raising against this player either.

now, the disadvantages are flat calling are more pronounced. you want the short stack to get all in asap here, because you dont want a scare card like an A,K, or Q falling to kill your action from his top pair, ect. second, if the mp3 has a flush draw, you lose profits by just flat calling the flop.

the advantages of calling vs raising are very slim here for the above reasons, and the disadvantages are somewhat significant. however, your mistake in this hand was minimum raising. if you raise, (which you usually should), raise to 5 instead. you would be in better shape overall if you just cut min raising out of your games at these stakes.

GL

RustyCJ
07-28-2004, 12:04 AM
My intention was to make MP pay for a flush draw, he probably didn't have it anyway, so I almost called to try to draw him in. By min raising I thought I might draw MP in anyway and I knew the SB would definitely call me. If I bring MP along he might catch an overcard and might pay me off on later streets. I was considering just calling for possible implied odds, its a monster hand with just 2 opponents, but still vunerable.

Daann
07-28-2004, 06:28 AM
Cornell has got it right on here, I'd just like to add that even if no one is drawing to a flush, the presence of the 3 suited card is going to kill any action and you will be wary of committing a large proportion of your stack if anyone does start betting.

Also the flopped nuts is generally a monster whether there be 2 or 9 callers.

RustyCJ
07-28-2004, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also the flopped nuts is generally a monster whether there be 2 or 9 callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I would be much more nervous in a .5/1 limit game with 9 callers. I felt pretty safe in this situation however.

cornell2005
07-28-2004, 07:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My intention was to make MP pay for a flush draw, he probably didn't have it anyway, so I almost called to try to draw him in. By min raising I thought I might draw MP in anyway and I knew the SB would definitely call me. If I bring MP along he might catch an overcard and might pay me off on later streets. I was considering just calling for possible implied odds, its a monster hand with just 2 opponents, but still vunerable.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the real key here is that the money you lose to the small stack by just calling is larger than the money you gain from the player behind you by just calling.

SpiderMnkE
07-28-2004, 08:43 AM
Ok... for one thing... you have to raise if the guy is on a flush draw. The goal is to make the other players make mistakes. If you just call... he has 3 to 1 to draw to his flush... ok.. so he doesn't have direct odds... probably not implied odds either since he may get no action when he hits his flush. My point was that you want them to make mistakes... the bigger the better... these guys are likely to call your raise with a draw because "pot odds" doesn't enter their head... only "Flush Draw" enters their heads.

Raise it up to force bigger mistakes and potect your made hand.

SpiderMnkE
07-28-2004, 08:50 AM
You do however have a monster.. and are against 2 guys... how likely is it that one actually has a flush draw. Maybe a slow play isn't terrible.. now I have no idea what I think.. I would like to get the small stack in right now before some card on the turns scares him out of the pot.

ahhh.. I hate poker.. I say raise... if the guy behind you has anything at all he'll probably call even if you raise.. and you have a nearly sure chance of getting the rest of the small stacks money when he is beat.

cornell2005
07-28-2004, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to get the small stack in right now before some card on the turns scares him out of the pot.

if the guy behind you has anything at all he'll probably call even if you raise.. and you have a nearly sure chance of getting the rest of the small stacks money when he is beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, those reasons are good