PDA

View Full Version : Hand #1 of 365 for review

JeffO
07-26-2004, 12:30 PM
Beginning today and every day for the next 365 days, I will begin posting hands in an effort to take my game to the next level.I have come as far as I can just lurking and its time for me to get more involved. Party 5/10 only real read is that MP2 is LAG.

I'm on the button and am dealt 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

MP1 limps, MP2 limps, CO limps I call??? Loose? BB checks.

Five see the flop of 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Check, check, check CO bets and I raise?? with 4 to a flush and the sucker end of the straight. Anyone like this raise?
BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls 2 cold and CO folds.

Turn is the T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Now MP2 bets into me and I call.

River is the 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif MP2 checks, and I check behind. Does anyone bet this river? I'm thinking that he won't call with a worse hand.

Results to follow

PotatoStew
07-26-2004, 12:45 PM
I would fold this preflop. If I saw the flop, I'd not raise it, especially not right after the CO bet... you're more likely to drive people out, decreasing your payoff if you do hit your flush. Additionally, your flush will be a low one, susceptible to a higher flush draw or redraw. I wouldn't bet the river either -- it's unlikely you're ahead, in my mind.

illunious
07-26-2004, 01:00 PM
The small stakes forum is the best place to make your next 364 posts.

citizenkn
07-26-2004, 01:24 PM
The pre-flop call is borderline, but not terrible. And I think you played it just fine after that....

NoChance
07-26-2004, 01:39 PM
I like the way you played it. I would play it the same way.

PotatoStew
07-26-2004, 02:30 PM
So you guys think it's ok to chase people out of the pot with the flop raise, even though with four other people in, he's unlikely to win the pot outright?

JeffO
07-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Upon further review I have to go along with PotatoStew on this one. I think I should have just called CO flop bet and hopefully brought a couple of the checkers along. I also posted this hand in the small stakes forum and most agreed with PotatoStew.

By the way MP2 showed A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and my hand was good.

ArchAngel71857
07-26-2004, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Five see the flop of 9 T J

Check, check, check CO bets and I raise?? with 4 to a flush and the sucker end of the straight. Anyone like this raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

The rest of the hand shows why you shouldn't like this raise:
[ QUOTE ]

BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls 2 cold and CO folds.

Turn is the T Now MP2 bets into me and I call.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you had only called, BB and MP1 might not have folded. Your raise will more than likely NOT pick up the pot right there which takes away some its value. You lucked out by having MP2 cold call and make the pot bigger, but you can't count on this.

Plus when the bet is out on the turn, by driving people out on the flop, you have cut down your effective odds and decreased the pot for when you hit your draws.

Imagine how nice the pot would be if you called the flop and it was called around. Then on the turn you called and everyone else called. then you hit your flush and BB bets and you raise, forcing everyone to call.

I wouldn't have played this preflop, btw.

-AA

NoChance
07-26-2004, 03:32 PM
By raising doesn't he increase his odds of winning if the flush doesn't come when they fold? I think that may have been the case with this hand.