PDA

View Full Version : Folding as a weapon...

MercTec
07-26-2004, 11:15 AM
A concept from TPFAP used in practice...

4 players left in an $10 SNG on UB. I am crippled. Blinds are 200/400 and I have around t550. Other short stack has around 700 and the other two are split with the rest of the chips. Im in BB and I plan on going all in with whatever i get dealt.

I get deal 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Table was pretty chatty and the other short stack directly on my left says:

OK Merc, lets go.

And he pushes. One of the big stacks (SB)immediately calls.

I think and say hmmmm...SB has to have the goods, otherwise why even bother calling. I say, "Nah, you two have fun" and lay it down.

SB flips over AA against other short stack's K9. Aces hold up and I slide into the money and lose the next hand in the small blind.

My favorite part of all of this was one of the big stacks says," Merc, you're my hero. What a fold."

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

durron597
07-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Ah, a case where chipEV is hugely different from $EV. Good fold.

meatwad
07-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Good fold.

Same thing happened to me this weekend in a 5+1 multi.

5 people left at the final table and the 2nd place chip stack loses a heads up battle agains the chip leader and gets crippled down to 4th place (I'm short stack and can't survive the next round of blinds). 2 hands later I get dealt QQ and plan on pushing all in, but b4 I could do it 4th place guy pushes all in. If I call I have a chance to triple up, but if I lose I finish 5th, even if the 4th place guy also loses the hand, so I decide to see if his hand stands up.

He ends up having some crap hand like K9 and loses to the big stack who calls with an Ace and outdraws him.

I finish 4th instead of 5th.

donkeyradish
07-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Good post, I also improved from 10th to 4th in a multi-table tournament just by folding every hand.

The cards dealt to me each time were really bad, but the irony is that I probably needed them to be bad!!

BrettK
07-26-2004, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good post, I also improved from 10th to 4th in a multi-table tournament just by folding every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's refreshing to be able to read this every six threads.

Brett

DontPlayScared
07-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Merc,

In that situation, if I only have enough for one or two bets, I wouldn't need 9-2 off to fold.

MercTec
07-26-2004, 01:03 PM
I agree...but the frown was before I saw the PF action. I lay down pretty much everything in that spot again.