PDA

View Full Version : Need help with loose-passive game

phixxx
07-26-2004, 04:54 AM
Around two times a week, about 9 other friends and I play low-limit holdem. The buy in ranges between 15-20 dollars, limits usually stay around .50/1.00. My friends enjoy the game, however they're very weak players and I'm having trouble making the profit that I'd like. The game ends up being very loose/passive; hardly any raising preflop. Whenever I pick up a powerful hand, trying to drive out the garbage hands rarely works and people end up catching miracle cards because so many people are playing preflop. It seems that their playing style counters my tight-agressive play. Could anyone offer some advice regarding play in these types of games? Anything would be appreciated.

P.S. I have quite a bit more experience than these players, and although I leave with a good amount of winnings, I still believe that I could be making more.

TRWIII
07-26-2004, 05:11 AM
At the risk of plugging Ed's book, SSH covers these situations pretty darn well... as a matter of fact I think its why he wrote it /images/graemlins/grin.gif. In short play more pocket pairs and suited connectors for one bet, raise your good hands, and stay aggressive with you good hand/draws and you should do pretty well for yourself.

TRWIII

SpaceAce
07-26-2004, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of plugging Ed's book...

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of repeating something we hear often around here, there is no way that having loose-passive players in your game playing junk hands and chasing exotic draws is hurting your profits. Yes, the suckouts can be frustrating but for every time someone shows you a rivered guthost, there are ten times he mucks face-down. If you're playing better than your opponents, the money will come your way. Just be sure you don't let them rub off on you. Stick to your self-proclaimed tight-aggressive style* and let your friends keep making mistakes.

SpaceAce
* Be sure you are playing a tight-aggressive game and not a weak-tight one. I think the two are easily confused at times.

douglas
07-26-2004, 08:07 AM
I just finished reading Holdem Poker and am studying it now but one thing I've noticed as a novice is that the holding of medium to low pairs in the hole can be dangerous. I've been beaten twice with full houses by someone with better overcarsds in the hole. Any suggestions on this play?

Haupt_234
07-26-2004, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been beaten twice with full houses by someone with better overcarsds in the hole. Any suggestions on this play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Start flopping quads.

Haupt_234

TRWIII
07-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Exactly. Oh, and dont forget trying to flop those one card straight flushes too. Those always help. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TRWIII