PDA

View Full Version : AA & KK - how about pooling data

HoldingFolding
07-26-2004, 03:25 AM
In the first 3 levels of 10+1 SNGs I've been oscillating between limping/miniraising and 3+BB with AA & KK. Yet even with my limited sample it seems that the former is a much better way of parting opponents from their chips.

Yes, you might have to lay down the hand when someone bets back at you aggressively after a painful flop and there'll be the ocassional suckout. However, most of the time you pick up all the callers chips plus several hundred from the guy who paired his queen on the flop.

The data, in rough and ready form:
AA/KK played aggressively 7 times
initial bets 32x BB
net earnings 28.5x BB
no suckouts/no bustouts

AA/KK played passively 12 times
initial bets 18x BB
net earnings 97x BB
Including busting 3 opponents, getting busted myself once and losing half my stack before bailing out (could have had trips, but I think he was on a flush draw)

Anyone else got any data? Comments?

stupidsucker
07-26-2004, 03:39 AM
I respect what your doing, and I know you already mentioned it, but..

Your sample is way way too small. Do it 100 times for each, and you might have a decent sample.

HoldingFolding
07-26-2004, 04:21 AM
So...how about pooling data - is there a logical way to do it.

I can't believe I have spelt ocassionally incorrectly for the two thousand four hundered and twenty seventh time

t_perkin
07-26-2004, 04:34 AM
I would say you need so a huge sample that this would take ages to do. The value of it would be relatively small.

If you had access to a poker room database then doing things like this would be easy and really great. But as far as I know nobody around here does.

Tim

Hood
07-26-2004, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So...how about pooling data - is there a logical way to do it.

I can't believe I have spelt ocassionally incorrectly for the two thousand four hundered and twenty seventh time

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem I see with pooling data is that play from the flop-onwards would have to be standard. E.g.

As a example (not suggesting proper play):

With aces:
Pre-flop: Always re-raise all-in if there's a raise behind you. Always bet the pot regardless. If re-raised all-in fold if the board is a) 3-suited not in your suit b) paired c) 3-straight otherwise call all-in. If just called, push on the turn unless 4th card to a flush or straight you don't have, in that case check/fold.

And this is still way to rigid - it doesn't take in to account, blind level, stack sizes, types of opponents.

But if you don't have these rigid levels, then your data would be meaningless - placing passively may suit your style of play against the players you play against (not just buy-in relevant, but also factors like the time of day may be relevant), but not suit others.