PDA

View Full Version : Moved up to 3/6 today, KQo hand for review

nepenthe
07-26-2004, 03:23 AM
After two days of hitting a downward slide on 2/4 to the tune of over -50BB, I decided to give 3/6 a try, partly because I had planned on moving up for a while, and partly because I was frustrated. The Gods of Variance, perhaps taking pity at my inopportune venture into the netherworld, were kind enough to reward me with a 45.80 BB/100 hands rate after precisely 130 hands /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

One hand stood out to me in this and I'd like to post it.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: nepenthe is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe raises</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Standard raise, CO coldcalling worries me a bit, but all is good.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe raises</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Am I supposed to be afraid of that 5? I suppose BB could have anything but I wasn't buying it yet. CO coldcalled again to my growing dismay.

River: (12.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, nepenthe calls, CO calls.

Although I'm no stranger to people raising the river with crap in a last-ditch attempt to buy the pot, I wasn't happy with this at all.

Final Pot: 18.16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18.16 BB, between nepenthe, CO and BB.</font>

Standard turn raise/river bet or could I have played it differently?

jt1
07-26-2004, 06:43 AM
IMO well played.

If you just call the turn then you are giving CO the right odds to chase to his 5 outs, but by raising you are making money of him.

TRWIII
07-26-2004, 06:48 AM
Looks well played to me. You'll probably get shown broadway or KJ or something similar, but it looks to me like you played it correctly. Im thinking you will win well more than your 5.8% of the time that would make calling that raise correct.

TRWIII

Haupt_234
07-26-2004, 08:36 AM
Nice hand.

On a side note though, perhaps jumping into a higher limit while you are frustrated with a good sized BB downswing isn't the best idea... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Haupt_234

colgin
07-26-2004, 10:24 AM
nepenthe,

I would play it the same way as you. Although I would not feel great about being checkraised on the river, you obviously have to call here.

Well played.

Colgin

BigEndian
07-26-2004, 11:12 AM
I think I'm checking that river card and then making a decision if it's 2 bets back to me.

- Jim

ZootMurph
07-26-2004, 12:39 PM
I think you played it fine.

Can someone explain to me the play of BB though? I mean, he is betting and our Hero is raising every street. If he hit his hand on the river, wouldn't he bet out expecting our Hero to raise and then he could three bet, getting an extra bet out of it? Or, was the check/raise the right play here?

Haupt_234
07-26-2004, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain to me the play of BB though?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure,

The BB is a moron.

Haupt_234

nepenthe
07-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the comments.

BB: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
CO: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I know some people who play their small/medium PP's very aggressively and was glad to find out this was one of those situations. I would probably have seriously considered folding the river if it was two bets back to me regardless of if I bet or not.