PDA

View Full Version : So, what do you suppose he has?

SpaceAce
07-26-2004, 03:12 AM
The villain in this hand is a poor player. My note on him says:

Raises and behaves fairly aggressively pre-flop but turns passive/weak-tight post-flop.
^^ In fact, he may be raising a bit too much.

The second part is a bit of an understatement. Playing against this person yesterday and today, I came to the conclusion that he was raising way too much pre-flop. Post-flop he likes to check when he misses. He seems to raise when he makes a hand and he also likes to raise sometimes when he has no hand or not enough of one. He seems more prone to raising or folding than to calling down.

The table: Poker Stars low limit six-handed. With the exception of the villain and a buffoon to my left, the players are unremarkable, a bit on the tight side pre-flop for this kind of game. The villain has just under four big bets in his stack.

The hand: I get black fives in the big blind. One limper, the villain raises on the button and the small blind folds. I three-bet and the limper and villain both call. Come to think of it, the limper was a bit buffoonish, too.

The flop is 2Q3 rainbow. I bet, the limper folds and the villain calls.

The turn is the King of diamonds, putting two diamonds out. I bet, the villain calls.

The river is an offsuit six. I have no intention of folding at this point but I think that if the villain has AT or AJ or some exotic draw like the backdoor diamond flush or the wheel, he might not call a bet. I probably should have gone ahead and bet, anyway, but I checked, the villain immediately threw in his last almost-a-big-bet and I called.

What do you think he had and do you think I butchered the hand? I expected to get heads-up with my three-bet and when the villain failed to cap, I was pretty sure I was going to the showdown if I could get rid of the limper.

SpaceAce

lil'
07-26-2004, 01:39 PM
I strongly dislike the pre-flop 3 bet. Here's my little rule of thumb for these situations:

"The limper NEVER folds."

This is especially true in a shorthanded game.

As for the rest of the hand, I think you played it OK.

SpaceAce
07-26-2004, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I strongly dislike the pre-flop 3 bet. Here's my little rule of thumb for these situations:

"The limper NEVER folds."

This is especially true in a shorthanded game.

As for the rest of the hand, I think you played it OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your rule of thumb, it's amusing and pretty accurate, too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did make a point of mentioning that the table was tight pre-flop for a low limit six max game. Obviously, I raised hoping to lose the limper and obviously you were right in this case, the limper did not fold. The thing is, I would much rather play my 55 heads-up than hope to hit a set with so little money in the pot. Do you think the order of action by preference is call->raise->fold or call->fold->raise?

I am still waiting for people to try and put my opponent on a hand. I was nowhere close to being right about what he had.

SpaceAce

lil'
07-26-2004, 04:22 PM
I would rather play 55 heads-up as well, but with the limper in there it becomes 3 handed, and we all know how that goes.

I'd call, getting 5:1 and look to flop a set or some other flop favorable to fives.

As for your opponent's hand, it could be anything from a slowplayed set to a desperate bluff at the end with his last bet. I can't fault your play after the flop, though.

stinkypete
07-26-2004, 04:33 PM
pocket pair JJ-66

TripleH68
07-26-2004, 04:47 PM
5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

It would make for a good story. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpaceAce
07-26-2004, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pocket pair JJ-66

[/ QUOTE ]

A small pocket pair was one of the possibilities I had in mind for the villain in this hand but I am pretty sure he would have reraised me pre-flop or put in a post-flop raise with 99+ given his short stack.

SpaceAce

TRWIII
07-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Oh lemme guess. He had an A2 (maybe suited) and was calling you all the way with worst pair, because you might be bluffing.

TRWIII

SpaceAce
07-27-2004, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh lemme guess. He had an A2 (maybe suited) and was calling you all the way with worst pair, because you might be bluffing.

TRWIII

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, boy, you're gonna love this. In fact, he had 5-2 offsuit and was calling because... well, just because, I guess.

I believe I said he raised too much /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpaceAce