PDA

View Full Version : Omaha: MM got it wrong

Al Mirpuri
07-26-2004, 01:36 AM
MM does not think much of Omaha, nor does he think much of big bet poker. He is in print on these matters.

Now he has opened up a forum specifically for its discussion.

Ironic.

Mason Malmuth
07-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Hi Al:

My negative comments on Omaha strictly applied to the limit version.

Best wishes,
mason

Iceman
07-26-2004, 07:43 AM
He recognizes that even if he doesn't like this game, many others do. I can't imagine Mason, David, and Ray play much micro-limit holdem either.

playerfl
07-26-2004, 12:01 PM
People tend to think that whatever they are good at is worthwhile and other things suck. Human nature.

PLO/8 is the most profitable form of poker to play at low stakes IMHO, and that is enough reason for playing it.

Beavis68
07-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Player, I have heard a few people say that, I am glad you are profiting - I however totally suck at the game.

I love limit O8/b when the cards are coming, however, it is one of the most frustrating games I have ever played when they are not.

jwvdcw
07-26-2004, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Al:

My negative comments on Omaha strictly applied to the limit version.

Best wishes,
mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell me why you feel this way or can someone who has read that section of the book tell me why he says he feels this way? Just curious.

Mason Malmuth
07-27-2004, 01:03 AM
Hi jwvdcw:

It's too easy to make the nuts, and everyone learns to play for the nuts. Thus the skill factor is too low to have a proper balance of luck and skill.

Best wishes,
Mason

playerfl
07-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Its possible you are just up against good players. If you can find a $2 max buyin table and have about $10 to lose while learning try that, it has worked for me.

I have been making almost rediculous % gains at the small tables then losing it at the bigger tables where the good players are. No joke, I went from a max $2 buyin last night and quit at $17.50 an hour and a half later. The people at the table were ooohing and ahhhhing, it was a lot of fun. If I could do that at a $100 table I wouldn't have to work, lol /images/graemlins/smile.gif