PDA

View Full Version : someone bring me back to reality

BIGRED
07-26-2004, 12:03 AM
I've been seriously thinking about trying poker full time, but wanted to consult some of the experienced veterans here before I make a potentially dumb move. I guess, in the end, it is my choice, and only I know what's best for me. But I would appreciate any feedbacks you guys might have. I would especially like to hear any real stories of someone gone pro, successfully or otherwise.

Just to put things into perspective for you guys... I've been playing online for about a year. I was never really serious about poker until I started playing online. The first three month were pretty rough, but since then, I haven't had a losing month. I don't know if this is just luck or if that is what most of you have also experienced, as far as not having extended losing streaks. Up until about 3 weeks ago I was playing 2/6 and decided to jump to 5/10 6-max. I like 6-max games and wanted to get to 5/10 6-max as soon as possible.

So far, it has worked out pretty well. But, I should also mention that I attempted 5/10 6-max twice before, but wasn't able to continue after having bad starts both times that put me back at 2/6. This time I got off to a quick start and haven't looked back.

I've played about 20K hands at my latest attempt at 5/10 6-max and have a win rate of 3BB per 100 hands playing 4 tables. I plan to play a LOT more to get a better gauge. If I count the two failed attempts, I'm probably just getting even now.

When I was playing 1/2 6-max and 2/4, it didn't really occur to be that poker can replace my day job. Although I was consistently winning, the amounts weren't anything close to what I'm making at my day job. But after having had this short term success, and doing some math based on BB of $10, I'm beginning to realize that if I can continue at this rate, I might be able to do this full time.

Realizing this has made me lose all motivation for going into work. I never really liked my job, in fact, I've always hated it. And this has made it worse. I always wanted a career change, but poker ?????.... I just don't know. Like I said, I'm going to play more hands at 5/10 before I make any decisions, but the thought of being able to quit a job I hate is very tempting.

Somebody, please put be straight.

Sponger15SB
07-26-2004, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I've played about 20K hands at my latest attempt at 5/10 6-max and have a win rate of 3BB per 100 hands playing 4 tables. I plan to play a LOT more to get a better gauge.

[/ QUOTE ]

do that and if you can keep up this winrate then i wouldn't be concerned that you are 1) a horrible, losing player 2) experiencing short term luck 3)not going to make it due to financial reasons, you are making $40+ an hour, if you are stuck in a job making less than $20, go for it if you think you can mentally handle it.

BIGRED
07-26-2004, 01:13 AM
Well, I see many reads, but not many replies... maybe my post was to open ended for someone to reply. If that's the case, let me ask this.

One of the things I wonder about if and when I do quit my day job is, how much is a comparable health and dental plan if I were to get one on my own?

djack
07-26-2004, 01:19 AM
there's been some good posts on this in the past. do some searches. yesterday there was a good post in the general hold'em section (i think) with lots of replies from pros on how hard it can be to make it as an online pro.

JTG51
07-26-2004, 01:32 AM
One of the things I wonder about if and when I do quit my day job is, how much is a comparable health and dental plan if I were to get one on my own?

Won't you get a better answer by looking that up yourself than by asking the forum? The information shoudln't be hard to find.

I'll just point out three things for you to keep in mind before you make your decsion.

1) 20K hands isn't very many. Play another 40K before you even think about quitting your job so that you can be more confident in your win rate and build up a really big bankroll.

2) Playing 30-40 hours a week is a lot tougher than playing 10-20 in your spare time.

3) There's no guarantee that the games will stay as good as they are now. Even if you decide to do it, keep a backup plan.

Thythe
07-26-2004, 01:36 AM
These are good points and I'd stress point number 3 the most. If the games die out or something unpredictable happens (poker gets completely banned online, etc) a gap in your resume of years will not look good. Be prepared to have to play one table of B&M poker if this happens...