PDA

View Full Version : Poker Stamina, Boredom and Overconfidence

SnakeRat
07-25-2004, 08:05 PM
I have a good grasp of Low-Limit HE.
I play tight and aggressive.

Sometimes I turn into an absolute LAG maniac.
This usually occurs after I have been playing for atleast a couple hours on 2/3 tables.

Example: Today I tryed to win a 13 BB pot with KQ-high by playing super aggressive against another maniac since I "knew" he had nothing. I checkraised the flop knocking 5 people out. He called me down on turn and river with A-hi. A very expensive mistake.

Just rambling about how I cant seem to play my A-game for more than 2 hours straight.

sfer
07-25-2004, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Example: Today I tryed to win a 13 BB pot with KQ-high by playing super aggressive against another maniac since I "knew" he had nothing. I checkraised the flop knocking 5 people out. He called me down on turn and river with A-hi. A very expensive mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with knocking everyone out to get heads-up with a maniac who could easily have any 2 cards when the pot is getting huge?

bisonbison
07-25-2004, 08:12 PM
I 4-table. If I play 4 tables for more than 90 minutes at a time, my brain begins to melt. The funny thing is, if I'm one-tabling online for more than 90 minutes, my brain begins to melt.

It seems like I can play my crappy brand of HE at a cardroom for hours with only minimal variations in crappiness, but the sheer monotony of online poker makes it really hard.

SnakeRat
07-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Well maybe it wasnt so bad, but afterwords I felt like a chip spewing fool.
I left out the part where he limp reraised vs the BB raise I completed in SB with KQo after a lot of limpers.

He couldnt have any two, he did have ATo, he wasnt pure maniac just really bad aggressive.

GuidoSarducci
07-25-2004, 11:03 PM
I can't imagine many people could sit and play 2 hours straight of poker. I know I'm done when I start trying to do other things like read the news, head to these forums, etc. If I'm looking for a distraction between hands, it's time for me to take a break.

MAxx
07-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Single tableing, I can stay on my game for 2-4 hours before I feel like my brain is really zapped. I do not ever go on a tilt rampage, but maybe the more subtle type of tilt where I do not play optimally. Such as getting slightly overagressive or calling down in spots that I wouldnt normally. The thing that I cannot understand is how people can multitable. I can play 2 at a time no problem, but that even makes me feel like I am missing important information. If I am playing 3 at a time, I am in a frenzy. Information overload, no reads, total caos. When you are actively in 3 hands at once it can be crazy evaluating pot odds an things like that and weighing wether it is best to call, raise, or fold. And playing 4 at once, I could not begin to imagine. What is your secret? I mean just flipping back and forth is an event in itself, do you have a large screen that you can view all the games at once?

what
07-26-2004, 12:51 AM
I don't seem to have a problem with this. I just started playing online and thats probably the reason. I also play at .25-.50 so the game is pretty easy. But I got an account on Poker Room 4 days ago. Within an hour I was bored with playing only a single table. Within 2 hours I was quadruple-tabling and I havn't looked back since. I guess it effects my playin a little, but I believe it is far more profitable (hourly) then only plaing one.

Since then I've played 20+ hours and havn't really noticed any boredom. Any time I start getting bored I just blast some music or sit out for a hand and get some food.

But like I said, this love of the game will probably where off in a week and I will start getting bored after an hour.