PDA

View Full Version : The "green" version of SSHE

Luv2DriveTT
07-25-2004, 06:43 PM
I just got my copy of Small Stakes Hold'em from Professionalpoker.com, when I opened the shipping package an interesting rather green & fresh aroma came from within... something vaugly similar to a college dorm room on a friday night. So to test my theory I conducted a "smell" test on the book with myself, my doorman, and the stoner from down the hall. When I flip through the pages it smells as strong as a Greatful Dead concert! Obviously somewhere in the chain (perhaps at the printer?) my book sat near someones stash.

Funny isn't it? Too bad it doesn't make the book any better, but it is good for laughs.

In da club /images/graemlins/club.gif

Kama45
07-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Mine too!! I have never been so inspired to read. But, seriously, there is no mistaking the scent. And it's strong.

Luv2DriveTT
07-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Perhaps they used Hemp paper?

lol!

Now I can acutually quote that 50 Cent song - In da club /images/graemlins/club.gif, pocket full of bud....

1p0kerb0y
07-25-2004, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but it is good for laughs

[/ QUOTE ]

you have no idea, haha.

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Mine was ordered on this website. No such odor.

Luv2DriveTT
07-25-2004, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mine was ordered on this website. No such odor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't call it an odor, I'd call it a very pleasent happy scent.

Kama45
07-25-2004, 10:26 PM
I got mine from The Gambler's Book Shop.

I've also ordered a copy online; we'll se how this one smelss when I get it.

David Sklansky
07-26-2004, 12:42 AM
I have already stated on another thread that I will stop at nothing.

Nottom
07-26-2004, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I expect to see you on next season's Last Comic Standing with all the one liners you've been throwing out recently.

Nemesis
07-26-2004, 03:01 AM
that's the third post to get a LOL from me this week. * i got mine from professionalpoker as well, but alas no aroma. So perhaps it was the person packing the books... curious.

GWB
07-26-2004, 08:12 AM
I understand hemp is an excellent packing material, and more environmentally friendly than styrofoam peanuts.

The Monk
07-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Maybe this is why 9 of the books (SSH) I received today from B&T have pages 161-176 missing. In their place is a repeat of pages 145-60 in upside down. This is out of 30 books. I think my shipment tomorrow will be more of the same. It is a shame the books weren't proofed at the printers. Cost a lot of money shipping back and forth and obtaining credits. Also by far one of the worse productions I have seen as far as the quality of the book goes. Some of the covers look like they been through the mill and it doesn't happen at this end because I also get books from other publishers through B&T and they come through with no problems at all. Maybe it's time for a better printer? All i am suggesting. I have to send back 11 books out of 30 from today's shipment,2 of the books the covers are so bad, and the other 9 books have the missing pages. What I don't understand is why has no one else found the missing pages? Or maybe I just can't find the thread. Will be interesting to hear why.
This just cost everyone money in the long run-a shame-and I thank the poker Gods I thumbed through the books as I was packing them up and found the upside down and missing pages.
Of course it would bad on my part sending out 2+2 books that weren't even complete-it would never ever reflect on the printer.
Hey you think that smell did it? /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mason Malmuth
07-28-2004, 04:32 AM
Hi Everyone:

We want everyone to know that if any bad books do get out there we will replace them at no charge.

This is the first time that we have heard that any bad books have been delivered to anyone.

Best wishes,
Mason

colgin
07-28-2004, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mine too!! I have never been so inspired to read. But, seriously, there is no mistaking the scent. And it's strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

My copy has it too. I thought I was crazy until I found this thread.

BarronVangorToth
07-28-2004, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Everyone:

We want everyone to know that if any bad books do get out there we will replace them at no charge.

This is the first time that we have heard that any bad books have been delivered to anyone.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

BAD---?!?!?

I'm actually annoyed that my copy smells "regular."

Mason, I happened to get my copy through Amazon -- can I send it to you and you replace it with a "bad" copy if someone is silly enough to send it in...?

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

BarronVangorToth
07-28-2004, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With a ludicrous view-count, I'm suprised you guys haven't hooked up with Shana H. to include a nude photo of her in every book....

Barron Vangor Toth

Rah
07-28-2004, 02:40 PM
You might want to check the TPFAP out as well. I recently bought a copy were 40 pages was missing while 40 other pages were printed twice. Very very annoying and unprofessional. Sadly, the freight cost from Sweden outweighs the importance of obtaining a new copy.

KingMarc
07-28-2004, 03:30 PM
I just got my book from professionalpoker.com and it smells like weed too /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

David Sklansky
07-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Mason will shortly let you know the particulars as to how we will fix this free of charge.

Luv2DriveTT
07-28-2004, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mason will shortly let you know the particulars as to how we will fix this free of charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats to fix? I have been sniffing my book all day long. I place it under my chair to keep me nice and mellow while at work, and at night I sleep with it under my pillow. Strange how my eyes are always asian-like lately (an esoteric quote from Pete Townshend - All the best cowboys have chinese eyes), The book is helping my B&M game more than I expected as my opponents seem to get a contact high from me bringing the book around!

I all seriousness (enough kidding around now), whoever packed my book really has good taste in what they smoke. One week later the scent is still as strong as it was when I opened the packing materials. I will not be traveling in the air with it as it is so strong that I'd probably be stopped. And that is no joke! /images/graemlins/club.gif

BarronVangorToth
07-29-2004, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully he'll likewise set up a program for those of us with "regular" smelling books to exchange them for the ones that got "fixed."

Barron Vangor Toth

La Brujita
07-29-2004, 08:27 AM
I got mine yesterday and it has the scent as well. This is so odd, pleasant but odd.

Knockwurst
07-29-2004, 11:40 AM
So Mason, 'fess up. Did you misplace some stash last time you went to the printers?

p.s. Are the pages smokeable?

OrangeHeat
07-29-2004, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
p.s. Are the pages smokeable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funniset thing I have read this year! So really, can we smoke them?

Orange

KingMarc
07-29-2004, 12:35 PM
I realized I can't read the book as the scent is making me sick. Will the smell last forever or go away eventually? I tried putting it in front of my ion filter with little luck.

Knockwurst
07-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Try bonging or bowling it.

"I always knew what it was for." -- Led Zepplin

highlife
07-29-2004, 12:58 PM
it goes best in fudge brownies

KingMarc
07-29-2004, 01:10 PM
I emailed professionalpoker.com. Here is the reply:

"What you are smelling is fresh ink and glue from a brand new printing which dissipates in time. All the books currently have this aroma."

No wonder I've been throwing up..I've been smelling glue for hours :-)

Mason Malmuth
07-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Hi Everyone:

I think this thread is getting a little silly. However, if any of the books do have a smell to them it would probably be from the glue in which the books were bound, and that smell will go away in a short time.

If this is actually occuring, it is only because the books are so new and we got them out immediately. I spent a good deal of time observing the printing and binding and no procedures were violated.

We do however now use a very special glue that takes over 24 hours to cure. We use this glue because it is far stronger and more flexible than standard book binding glue because of the way our books get used and read over and over. Again, if this is what some of you are smelling it should go away in a short time.

Best wishes,
Mason

cardcounter0
07-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Can we get some samples of this special "glue"?
Stictly for scientific purposes, you understand.

videopro
07-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Mason,
For those that like it maybe we can get some of the glue, bottle it and sell it on eBay. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif This all might explain how goofy everyone in our office has been lately.
Mike

(Just kidding, goofy is the norm)

Rah
07-29-2004, 08:09 PM
I'd just like to announce that Mason, personally, has offered me a great way of replacing my misprinted TPFAP. I'm now very pleased with the service of 2+2 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Luv2DriveTT
07-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Mason - in all seriousness, in my real life career I am a publisher of a magazine. I am around printing presses often. 1 color, two color, CMYK, spots, even hexachrome (6 color press - amazing stuff, as realistic as it gets). I've even hired presses that print four color manually (one clor at a time). But I have never come across this before, what I am describing is not the scent of a freshly printed book (which I can smell as well), its something rather unique. I hate to say it, the source may be the retailer since the only people who also noticed this odd occurance bought the book from the same place.

Reguardless, cause this has been a rather comical thread... its been a great source of amusement to me. And for that (and an amazing book that I cannot put down) I greatly appreciate it!

In da club /images/graemlins/club.gif

MicroBob
07-29-2004, 08:40 PM
you need to pay attention to the post that either mason or david were responding to.

in a couple of their posts they said they would replace 'bad books' specifically to those who said they had missing or upside-down pages.
they weren't responding to the pot-books in those posts nor were they calling the pot-books 'bad'.

themonk and rah both mentioned that they got 'bad' books with either beat-up binding or messed up pages and S&M were addressing them.

Mason Malmuth
07-29-2004, 10:32 PM
Hi Luv2DriveTT:

All preorder books, whether they came from ConJelCo (via this site) or Professional Poker came from the exact same place which happens to be my office.

As for all the printing that you have done, very little binding is done with PUR glue because very few binders throughout the country have the capability to handle it and it is much more expensive. When you bind a magazine it is rare for the spine to be more than a quarter of an inch thick. The spine on IT is a full inch.

Because of the very high quality 70 lb. paper that we use, and the stresses that our readers put on our books, a higher proportion of glue must be used (due to higher notching) than is standard for books or magazines and a larger surface area must be covered. So IT probably uses at least 10 times the amount of glue compared to the products that you are familiar with, and it takes a minimum of 24 hours for this glue to cure. Standard binding glue takes about 30 to 60 seconds to cure.

The smell that some of you have commented on is from the glue. It will disipate in a few days.

Best wishes,
Mason

Nemesis
07-30-2004, 04:47 AM
man he rained on your parade didn't he...

HajiShirazu
07-30-2004, 08:01 AM
I always liked the spine and construction of the newer 2+2 books. The spine is "breakable" in a way that allows you keep the book open without having to hold the pages, yet the pages won't fall out when you break it. So, for example, if you're in the bathtub or on the toilet, and can't use either of your hands for a little while, you just bend both sides back and keep on reading.

pokerstudAA
08-01-2004, 01:46 PM
I havent ordered a copy yet but if it comes with some buds magically glued in the binding I will order a few.

gusly
08-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Tit for tat, I guess. I just received my copy from bn.com, and it's missing pages 145-160, with an upside down repeat of 161-176. Seems like somebody at the printer must have been either impaired or having a really bad day.