PDA

View Full Version : Just an overpair vs a very aggressive player

JTG51
07-25-2004, 06:37 PM
PLO with .5/1 blinds. I just sat down with my $100 buy in. My main opponent, the button, has $80. I watched the last 7 or 8 hands. He's raised every hand preflop and won all but 1 or 2 with a flop bet. He hasn't shown down a hand.

There are 3 limpers to the button, who doesn't disappoint by raising to $3. SB folds, I call the extra $2 in the BB with K /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. All of the limpers call. Five to the flop with $15 in the pot.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to the button who bets $10. I call. Everyone else folds.

Turn: [Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, he checks.

River: [Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check, he bets $20, I call.

What do you think of my play on each street?

Mikey
07-26-2004, 12:19 AM
this is one of those hands that you can induce him to keep bluffing, but I'm not really crazy about your hand here, since you didn't fire into him at all you are basically letting him try to bury himself here.

But wait........ think about it...... he bet you called with all of those other players behind you left to act, i'd be scared of a 2 and since those other players have folded he may as well have the 2 himself.

An overpair isn't really a great hand, but I'm just learning this game.

You may be getting reverse implied odds here if he has you beat.

Lets see what the others have to say, this is an interesting hand. (at least to me it is)

Mucking Idiot
07-26-2004, 01:15 AM
I am just learning pot limit, but i would have chkraised flop...I believe you could raise $35(so $45)...thats alot of heat. If he reraises, fold. If he calls...well...try for a checkdown(yeeeea). If you think he is the type who will go allin on a bluff you should not try this. Then chkcall is good, unless he bets bigger than he did.
I just hate to let people with 4 cards draw on me.

JTG51
07-26-2004, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am just learning pot limit, but i would have chkraised flop...I believe you could raise $35(so $45)...thats alot of heat. If he reraises, fold. If he calls...well...try for a checkdown(yeeeea). If you think he is the type who will go allin on a bluff you should not try this. Then chkcall is good, unless he bets bigger than he did.
I just hate to let people with 4 cards draw on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about a check raise on the flop, but decided against it. Any better hand is going to call no matter how much I raise and most worse hands are going to fold even if I don't raise.

Also, planning to put half of my stack in then fold to a reraise can't be a good idea.

JTG51
07-26-2004, 02:58 AM
An overpair isn't really a great hand, but I'm just learning this game.

I agree, and me too. I thought this might have been a rare time when calling down with just an overpair was a good idea, especially given the turn check.

dwt95
07-26-2004, 05:09 PM
I'm pretty sure I'd lead bet the turn with two pair with the intent of laying it down if he came over the top for a large amount. That 3 couldn't have really helped him and I don't want to give him another card. If you were prepared to call 20 on the river, i'd bet in on the turn. But I'm not really an expert either.

Plus I need more info...has he shown the ability to lay down? If not, perhaps check call isn't bad.

That 20 bet screams please call though. Pocket 8's? 2/8?

and is this jefferson the caregiver from fbg?

JTG51
07-26-2004, 10:15 PM
and is this jefferson the caregiver from fbg?

I have no idea what that means, so probably not. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

JTG51
07-27-2004, 12:09 AM
The final board was Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

My opponent bet $20 and I called. He showed A /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for deuces full of threes and the winner.

comic2b
07-27-2004, 02:26 AM
Fold the flop. Maybe I get outplayed to much in this game. But I'm folding on the flop. I want to make the nuts. You want to in all games, but here it really matters. I don't care if I think he's stealing or anything. You are playing around 48th nut here.

I'll bust this guy when I have the nuts.

This is not hold em where an overpair is good or you have to wonder what they have. You risked a lot of money to see that he had the deuce.

If you are relatively sure he is bluffing you've got to check raise the flop. You want him to lay it down, not trap. Just my thought. Even a bluffer or bully will have a hand once in a while. Sorry you ran into it.