PDA

View Full Version : Short handed holdem

FrankLu99
07-25-2004, 06:04 PM
I was playing texas holdem, "Enemy" is a known friend who likes to try to outplay me. Of course I do some silly stuff to randomize my game. I see him call 2 bets on the button with 68s when I raise. Also in a home game he has 3 bet me wit 45 and proceeds to bet the flop with a gutshot draw. In a previous homegame he has also made a river bet then fold to a raise. During the UB he has raised 66 in SB and has bet out with 2 overcards. I am not quite sure how much of my game he knows but he knows I can fold a decent hand.

Anyway, here is the UB hand. Question: should I have 3 bet against him on the turn to represent a high pocket pair? I am unsure if he would let a small pair go. Btw, I raised this hand because normally I do no raise with 59s but wanted to mix up my game for one hand + I have position. Unfortunately I have learned that I must keep these types of play to a minimum against players that will outplay me.

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: FrankLu99 is Button with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">FrankLu99 raises</font>, SB folds, BB <font color="purple">(Enemy)</font> calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Enemy checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="CC3333">FrankLu99 bets</font>, Enemy calls, UTG calls, MP folds.

Turn: (5.70 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Enemy checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">FrankLu99 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Enemy raises</font>, UTG folds, FrankLu99 folds.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Enemy wins 8.70 BB. Enemy Opts to show T/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif </font>

FrankLu99
07-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Other plays that could have worked:

check the turn and raise the river if someone bet (depending on who bets).

call the turn checkraise by Enemy and bet/raise the river?

A conservative play I was thinking about was to call the turn bet and determine if he has the guts to bet again on the river

spydog
07-25-2004, 06:15 PM
Fold this preflop and never post a hand like this again!!

Seriously, mix it up with T9s or 98s if you feel you must, but not with this pile of garbage.

I hope you don't make this play often. If you do, please play at my table.

vanHelsing
07-25-2004, 06:25 PM
you better stop smoking crack! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

felson
07-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Frank, if this guy is going to give you this much action with AT then you have two choices:

1. play better starters
2. play better poker

From your post it appears to me that you are willing to do neither, thus I recommend that you

3. quit poker or move down in stakes

ctv1116
07-25-2004, 08:31 PM
There is no reason to "mix it up" at 0.25/0.5. Your "mixing" will have no effect on any of your opponents. It will only cost you money on every hand you play that garbage.

ctv1116
07-25-2004, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3. quit poker or move down in stakes

[/ QUOTE ]

There really isn't much farther down to go than 0.25/0.50.

FrankLu99
07-25-2004, 09:05 PM
HI spydog,

"Seriously, mix it up with T9s or 98s if you feel you must, but not with this pile of garbage" - spydog

U r joking right???
9Ts is an ez 3 bet preflop on the button. How would I mix it up with 9Ts or 89s when I already raise with those???

where do u play at what stakes do u play?
----------------------------------------------------------
anyway, after giving it some thought I should have gone 3 on the turn and bet the river.

FrankLu99
07-25-2004, 09:10 PM
you better stop smoking crack!

&lt;/////////&gt;~~~~~~~~~
hehehehehe

felson
07-25-2004, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

There really isn't much farther down to go than 0.25/0.50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was joking about that part. I shoulda phrased it differently to make it clearer, something like "obviously playing with quarters is too rich for you, move down to pennies" or something like that.

I happen to know the poster (and his antagonist) personally and was busting his chops a bit.

FrankLu99
07-25-2004, 09:44 PM
There is no reason to "mix it up" at 0.25/0.5. Your "mixing" will have no effect on any of your opponents. It will only cost you money on every hand you play that garbage. --ct

WTfreak!!!
I take great offense in this. I am a 25/50 cent limit player, r u saying that us microlimit players dont notice when a player plays ultra tite or loose?

u r joKing right?
haha good 1 then!!!

FrankLu99 - who plays UB .25/.50 Limit at night sometimes

ctv1116
07-25-2004, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no reason to "mix it up" at 0.25/0.5. Your "mixing" will have no effect on any of your opponents. It will only cost you money on every hand you play that garbage. --ct

WTfreak!!!
I take great offense in this. I am a 25/50 cent limit player, r u saying that us microlimit players dont notice when a player plays ultra tite or loose?

u r joKing right?
haha good 1 then!!!

FrankLu99 - who plays UB .25/.50 Limit at night sometimes

[/ QUOTE ]

The vast majority of 0.25/0.50 players can barely read their own cards right, much less care about what other people hold. Table image means very little at a micro-limits table, where most players play 15 or fewer hands in a session and then just leave.

2000Flushes
07-26-2004, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
9Ts is an ez 3 bet preflop on the button

[/ QUOTE ]

lol , yes please play at my table too.

FrankLu99
07-26-2004, 03:15 AM
ctv,
very nice post, right on the money!

[ QUOTE ]
The vast majority of 0.25/0.50 players can barely read their own cards right, much less care about what other people hold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I (a .25/.50 playa) have trouble determining if A4 is a wired pair - they look so similar. It is a common strategy for .25/.50 players to cap it all the way with a King thru 4 rainbow straight regardless of what the opponents have (usually everyone calls anyway so who cares).

[ QUOTE ]
Table image means very little at a micro-limits table, where most players play 15 or fewer hands in a session and then just leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see my method of playing exactly 15 hands has caught on. Yes, it is true - I leave exactly after 15 hands (or 2.5 rounds at a 6 handed game) even if it its the case where i am on the button the next hand.

FrankLu99
07-26-2004, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
9Ts is an ez 3 bet preflop on the button

[/ QUOTE ]

lol , yes please play at my table too.

[/ QUOTE ]

only if u play .25/.50 Limit holdem

Apocalypse
07-26-2004, 06:19 AM
Frank get a grip please, ctv is right

I don't see why you feel insulted by ctv's analysis of theses limits, cause its objective and crystallises the winning strategy for these limits -tight, straightforward and aggressive

I myself started at your limit working my way up to the somewhat bigger stakes and in my own experience 0.25/0.50 can be defined as loose, passive and very very boring. Just play your tophands, play the odds and play em aggressive when they hit and see your roll grow along with it. Its all theres to it.

as for your hand, it sux, play better and don't 'mix it up' again at these limits.

FrankLu99
07-26-2004, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Frank get a grip please, ctv is right

I don't see why you feel insulted by ctv's analysis of theses limits, cause its objective and crystallises the winning strategy for these limits -tight, straightforward and aggressive

I myself started at your limit working my way up to the somewhat bigger stakes and in my own experience 0.25/0.50 can be defined as loose, passive and very very boring. Just play your tophands, play the odds and play em aggressive when they hit and see your roll grow along with it. Its all theres to it.

as for your hand, it sux, play better and don't 'mix it up' again at these limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, i didnt know i gave off the impression that i felt insulted.

hehe

ahhh yessss, ctv's analysis is objective. I will try to read my hands better and not mix it up for at least 14 out of 15 hands.

FrankLu99
07-26-2004, 07:02 AM
i got knocked out of a UB$1 tourney.
iwas far from the money but even so i should have played better near the end. hahahahahahahahahahahahah

luckily for me I played 1 hand of heads up limit and won 50 cents so I am only down 50 cents.

yay

ctv1116
07-26-2004, 09:04 AM
I've told you what I think, you can fix this leak or you can continue to spew your chips away. If you want to go play a game where table image matters, go play with Schneids and stripsqueez in a $10/$20 game; I'm sure they'll be happy to let you "mix it up." Even at $5/$10, table image means very little, because there is such high turnover of the tables.

naphand
07-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Other plays that would have worked.

FOLD.

Anytime. The sooner the better.

I vote this thread as the funniest whacko post this year... /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS
You should not be playing poker online for $$ at age 12.