PDA

View Full Version : poker movie double feature in LA in august, 2+2 get together?

mike l.
07-25-2004, 05:53 PM
5 card stud film cincinatti kid (a little dim in parts but beautiful to look at in general and nice far fetched poker hands) with the oft-talked about, rarely seen on a big screen altman's california split (really great film) are playing as a double feature august 18 and 19 at 730pm at the new beverly at beverly and la brea. let's pick a night (wednesday or thursday) and meet up LA regulars and then go to commerce (or the much closer HP--about ten miles down la brea) afterwards?? also if anyone's up to meeting at the real pinks (about 2 blocks from there) beforehand for dinner let's do that as well! gabe, andy, jim, el dukie anyone else?

Rick Nebiolo
07-25-2004, 06:46 PM
you want to eat, watch a double feature, and play poker all in one night. sounds good, but how about substituting going out somewhere for cocktails instead of poker?

~ Rick

count us in as a definite maybe /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mike l.
07-25-2004, 06:56 PM
"you want to eat, watch a double feature, and play poker all in one night. sounds good, but how about substituting going out somewhere for cocktails instead of poker?"

si me gusta. or coctails AND poker is fine too. a ripping 6-12 a couple hours before last call is always fun and funny.

andyfox
07-25-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm with Rick. We old farts get tired easily. And I gotta work for a living. But if anybody wants to meet up for dinner and/or drinks before, I'll find us a good, fun place near the theater.

Include me in! Thursday is usually better for me than Wednesday, but either'd be OK.

JimRivett
07-26-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm in, either night is fine with me. I'm all for eating and playing before the movies.

You're right about California Split, it's a Robert Altman film, I think there was (is) some dispute with Altman about it, that's why you never see it on TV anymore, nor can you buy it on DVD or video. There are some great scenes of the old Gardena card rooms in it.

Jim

JTG51
07-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Are non LA regulars invited?

mike l.
07-27-2004, 09:01 PM
of course. will you be in town?

JTG51
07-27-2004, 10:38 PM
I recently moved to the general area.

I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to make it. I think I've got something to do somewhere around the 18th. I'll double check.

GuyOnTilt
07-28-2004, 04:08 PM
how about substituting going out somewhere for cocktails instead of poker?

Oh sure, leave us underage LA kids out.. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GoT

andyfox
07-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Yeah but if Rick and I go, our average age will be way over 21.

Way over.

mike l.
07-29-2004, 02:14 AM
gabe called me and said he's in. we need to select a night. im all for pinks beforehand for these reasons:

i dont want to drink cocktails and then go drive to the movie if it can be avoided. i tend to drink like i play poker, in a very overindulgent manner...

i love pinks, in fact im obsessed with it if you havent noticed.

it's close to new beverly.

but i could be persuaded against it. for instance i love the mexican place on santa monica past fairfax called gardens of taxco. heavenly margaritas, good food. and im sure andy has some good choices near there, as well as gabe, after all you two live near there. so lay out a plan.

andyfox
07-29-2004, 11:59 PM
Gardens of Taxco. I used to go there in high school, in the late 1960s. Lots of fun. I went there for the first time in about 25 years last year and it was still the same. I don't know if I can handle the Pink's, so I prefer Gardens of Taxco.

I'll make some suggestions to Gabe and we'll lay it out.

Regards,
Andy

The Dude
07-31-2004, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh sure, leave us underage LA kids out... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
You need a fake ID. Still.

El Dukie
08-02-2004, 12:06 AM
Mike,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been AWOL from the forum with work. I'm certainly up for movie night, if my wife will let me get away during the week. I'll have to plead for permission. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif BTW, if you're still interested, it looks like (fingers crossed, assuming I don't get one of those last minute business trips that calls me out of town) 26 August will be a go for the home game.... If any of the movie night attendees/LA regulars for whom Rick/Andy/Mike will vouch are interested, PM me. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MikeGuz
08-02-2004, 07:18 AM
I am a big big movie fan. At my age all I have left is movies and poker. My advice to anyone who likes movies specially poker movies DON'T I repeat DON'T waste any money on "The Big Blind". I found the web site and ordered it it was the worst $39 I ever spent and I have wasted a lot of money in my life.

I was like a kid who got a large "trick or treat" prize and couldn't wait to get home to open it only to find chicken bones.

Boo Hiss on the big blind I want my money back.

andyfox
08-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Thursday, August 19:

Dinner is at 5:30 at Lucy's El Adobe Cafe. It's at 5536 Melrose Ave, near Paramount Studio. The cross-street is Beachwood Drive. Phone number there is (323) 462-9421.

Gabe has kindly offered his house, nearby to Lucy's, to park some cars, in order to cut down on the length of our caravan (and for those who may not be in condition to drive after margaritaville). Please PM Gabe so we can see how many of us there will be for the restaurant so we can make an appropriate reservation.

For those who are too young to know, Lucy's is famous as Governor Jerry Brown's and his girlfriend Linda Rondstadt's hang-out way back when. Being the old lefty that I am, there'll be sentimental value that goes hand-in-hand with seeing Robert Altman's California Split. Governor Moonbeam is now mayor of Oakland, and Ms. Rondstadt is making friends in Las Vegas.

All are welcome.