PDA

View Full Version : I got some uh...hidden outs here, or something, don't I?

balkii
07-25-2004, 05:39 PM
party 3/6

not sure I played this well. take a look

UTG limps, I limp in MP1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, WHALE (90% VPIP 7% PFR) raises, TightPassivish coldcalls on the button, SB, and BB call, UTG, and I call.

6 to the flop for 12 SBs.

Flop is A /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

4 checks to WHALE who bet, TightPassivish raises, 1 fold and 2 coldcallers, I 3-bet (??!?!?), WHALE folds, all call.

I think there is a pretty decent chance I am behind here (I am thinking to TightPassivish), but the pot is huge and maybe I have some hidden outs to counterfeit my kicker. or something.

Turn 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

2 checks, I bet, TightPassivish calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

River 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif BOO YAH

UTG checks I check.

How'd I do? Mainly I'm curious about my
a) flop play
b) river check
c) how to play a river blank

zuluking
07-25-2004, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think there is a pretty decent chance I am behind here

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually there is a pretty decent chance you are WAY AHEAD here! Bet the river too.

adanthar
07-26-2004, 01:27 AM
If he's passive, why do you think he'll bet the river? Bet it yourself.

Bet on a blank, too. He'll bet a bigger ace or a full house, but the only thing he'll raise the river with is exactly AQ.

balkii
07-26-2004, 01:34 AM
On the flop, I had been planning on betting a river blank, because I felt that if I chekced the river he would surely bet if he had a better hand, but wasn't likely to bluff.

On the river, I went with my read. Unfortunately he checked behind with AK. Uncooperative son of a #$@$%! Fancy play - DENIED!

joker122
07-26-2004, 01:34 AM
I don't undertand why you didn't bet the river.

joker122
07-26-2004, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the river, I went with my read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought your read was tight passive.

Nottom
07-26-2004, 02:04 AM
I really dislike the river check.

balkii
07-26-2004, 02:20 AM
I read him for an A. I didn't know how passive he was at the time. Basically I thought if he had a hand like AT/AJ/AK that he would bet the river.

BugsBunny
07-26-2004, 02:59 AM
He might have if you didn't 3 bet the flop. That probably scared him into thinking you might have AQ.

Ed Miller
07-26-2004, 05:11 AM
On the river, I went with my read. Unfortunately he checked behind with AK. Uncooperative son of a #$@$%! Fancy play - DENIED!

Blah.. your river check was fine. If you think your opponent is likely to have a hand like ace-king, checking is almost mandatory.

Vern
07-26-2004, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Blah.. your river check was fine. If you think your opponent is likely to have a hand like ace-king, checking is almost mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why, could you elaborate on that. The OP had a FH. Any lone Ace or possibly any two hearts would call. Do you check because you expect him to bet at the pot more than 50% of the time with a big ace so you can get extra bets out of the tightpassive and UTG. I would think this is a value bet situation since any hand that beats you now, beat you on the turn, and there was no raise there so those hands are unlikely.

Vern

chesspain
07-26-2004, 07:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'ld have to have one hell of a read to not only put my opponent on AK here but to assume that this "tight passive" player would bet the river, especially after he only called the turn.

nopepper
07-26-2004, 08:21 AM
BET THE RIVER...If you are unraised on the turn, he does not have the boat, this is an easy river bet..Im betting 100% of the time

sthief09
07-26-2004, 10:21 AM
This check-raise is going to work like 95% of the time. Why is everyone saying to bet the river? He knows the guy has an A. Read TOP. The c/r doesn't have to work that often to be right.

Trix
07-26-2004, 10:39 AM
I dont understand the flop 3bet if you think he is tight-passive.

I like the river check.

Barry
07-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Given the passive nature of the button, I think that I would bet the river as the back door /images/graemlins/heart.gif's usually give them enough of a reason to check behind, which makes a checkraise attempt less likely to succeed.

Ed Miller
07-26-2004, 01:55 PM
This check-raise is going to work like 95% of the time. Why is everyone saying to bet the river? He knows the guy has an A. Read TOP. The c/r doesn't have to work that often to be right.

I agree that checking the river is probably good, but with the third player in the hand remember that sometimes you are risking two bets to win three... so check-raising won't always double your win.

But if you put someone on a strong hand (like, say, trip aces) and think he'll just call if you bet, then absent a VERY strong read it's usually safe to go for a check-raise.